Trouble Settling on a Lab Breeder

• Bronze

Trouble Settling on a Lab Breeder

We have decided to bring a Lab into our family and I have been researching breeders, using national and local breeding clubs for breeder directories.

I have narrowed it down to two breeders (at least at this point). I am looking for an American style retriever (prefer NOT to have the blocky head/build), preferably black male, and I have only found two breeders within a 5 hour drive that have pups available now or in the near future.

One of the breeders is giving me pick of the litter, but I have to pick out a pup at 4 weeks (which won't be enough time, in my opinion to give me a strong indication of their personalities), and she's 3.5 hours away, which is a bit challenging having to juggle a long car ride with two small children. She's also less expensive than the other breeder at $800. Overall, I feel very good about the breeder, but wish I didn't have to pick a dog so early.

The other breeder hasn't had her litter  yet, but expects them at the end of the month. She will have a mix of yellow and black, and so I might not have the option of our first choice, a black male. She is also much more expensive at $2000 which frankly is more than we budgeted for. But she is 1.5 hours away (a small but not unimportant fact) and she will pick the pups for the buyers, a philosophy which I respect, since they know the pups better than anyone.

So anyone have any advice on how to settle? Or any other routes for finding a different, reputable breeder? I have checked the Labrador Retriever Club of America and the one for the Potomac area (I live in VA). Maybe I am missing another source for good breeders?

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog
    What about health testing?
    • Gold Top Dog

Have you checked with your local shelter or lab rescue? There are many homeless dogs waiting for loving homes. =]

• Gold Top Dog

You could try the UKC's breeder list http://www.ukcdogs.com/RegistrationBreeders.htm

The best advice I could give you is to please, please, please make sure that the breeder does health testing--*all* the tests recommended for labs: http://www.lab-health.co.uk/tests.html 

The site I posted lists elbow testing as "desirable," but I would list as as necessary.  I have a lab that I got from a good breeder that did health screening.  The only important screening that was not done was elbows on the dam (elbows on the dam's parents and the sire were good though), and my boy ended up with elbow dysplasia and had to have a bone chip removed from his elbow.  All of the medical things combined cost us around $1200, not including the physical therapy afterward and the fact that we will always have to manage his diet in a specific way to account for the arthritis that was causes by the offending chip before it was removed.

Also, a little friendly advice that has nothing to do with breeders---make sure you keep anything smaller than a bath towel picked up off the floor and totally out of reach--many of them will eat anything they can swallow (and I do mean anything)......

• Gold Top Dog

Assuming that all of these dogs have the appropriate health certificates and some form of titling to prove they are sound breeding stock, I'd go with the latter.  It may be more expensive, but just from what you've posted that person sounds more like what I at least look for in a breeder.  I generally feel a LOT better about breeders that do some sort of screening and then pick the puppy for the person.  Like you said, no one can be expected to accurately pick a puppy they've just met at 4 weeks old.  I've developed somewhat of a relationship with Kenya's breeder (also 1.5 hours away) and I'm glad she is so close.  I can see her, her dogs, and her friends at trials in the area and they help me with a lot of things.  Also, if there are any problems, heaven forbid, at least that person is a lot closer.