Pit Bulls in Florida

• Gold Top Dog

Pit Bulls in Florida

Ok I watch Animals Cops everynight. I noticed they're alway talking about Pit Bulls being banned all the time. So what if you have the Akc registered kind? Or are those different? And if their not different then are the banned also? 

• Gold Top Dog

They are banned in Miami Dade County, I'm assuming that includes AKC registered dogs.  I think on the show if it's half pit or more it is banned.  They took one away from an old woman and she was screaming and crying (granted, she had been letting the dog loose and it bit more than one person).  I think I saw another episode where they took several from a guy just b/c of their breed and he came to reclaim them and moved to a different county.

• Gold Top Dog

Yeah I just saw the old lady episode. That dog was pretty  too bad he wasnt socialized and was a banned breed. 

• Gold Top Dog

Miami-Dade county has banned all pit-bull and "pit-bull type" dogs.  There is one guy that makes the call on if your dog looks enough like a pit bull to get taken away.  It doesn't matter what sorts of papers you might have proving otherwise, there is no way to challenge the decisions of that man.

• Gold Top Dog

Only down in Miami-Dade are they banned, but from what I have heard, there are still plenty of them down there. Up north (Pinellas, where I am) there is no action in effect to ban them. I'm sure there is talk, there always is. Someone told me a while back that there are laws in place to prevent this from happening in our area. But, if Pinellas bans pits, Hillsborough (Tampa) would be sure to follow to offset the slew of people moving accross the bridge.

• Gold Top Dog

I hope that doesn't happen - the banning. 

• Gold Top Dog

Sunshinegirl
    I hope that doesn't happen - the banning. 

There is a group of counties banning together to get the state law removed than doesn't allow BSL.  Note: Miami-Dade is the only country that can have BSL because their law was in effect before the state law.  It is being spearheaded by counties in the southeast part of the state that want to enact BSL themselves.  If the state law falls I think that you will see a number of the larger counties adopt BSL. 

• Gold Top Dog

I wonder if we could sell "poodle outfits" to pitty owners so they can keep their dogs?  or make up a registry so they can register the dogs as some made-up-breed and flash those papers if in need? "No he's not a pitbull! look, he's clearly a purebred registered Shorthaired Bignosed Boxer".

• Gold Top Dog

haha mudpuppy that would be nice if it worked..but most of the breed bans ive seen anywhere ban "pitbull type dogs"  As for the AKC registered..they are not called pits at all .  they ar AMerican Staffordshire Terriers..but they are still banned in most places that ban pits because they are "pit type"  Doesnt matter the name.  I did question that though, wondering what they'd do if someone came in with a Dogo argentino or a Presa Canario.  Most non-dog people would automatically assume they were big pitbulls..so what would they do even if they had registration papers proving they were some other breed?

• Gold Top Dog

Steve i've heard you mention that before. whats the name of that group? do you have any links or more info on that situation? like i said i've heard you mention it before, but no one else has, that i know of..

honestly though.... if the city has banned the dogs then the ones already there should stay, but people bringing them in(i.e. breeding new ones) should get harsh penalties for breaking that law. if its illegal then its ILLEGAL!! fair or not. what in the world do you wanna break the law for? lobby against it.. dont break it. The bulldog forum i was a member of had a ton of UK residents crying their eyeballs out when the Dangerous Dog Amnesty rolled through...... they created their own heartbreak knowing the dogs were banned BACK IN THE EARLY 90'S!!!!!! if some moron hadnt broken the law then everyone else would not have suffered losing their "pets"

• Gold Top Dog

DumDog
     Steve i've heard you mention that before. whats the name of that group? do you have any links or more info on that situation? like i said i've heard you mention it before, but no one else has, that i know of..

House bill HB101.  Filed for the 2008 session.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/index.cfm?Mode=Bills&SubMenu=1&Tab=session&BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&BillNum=0101&Chamber=House&Year=2008&Title=%2D%3EBill%2520Info%3AH%25200101%2D%3ESession%25202008

• Gold Top Dog

thank you kindly