What breed suits me?

• Gold Top Dog

What breed suits me?

I am going to be getting a puppy sometime next fall and I want to have PLENTY of time to research and find the breed right for me, and find a good breeder (most rescues and shelters around me require you to be 18 to adopt, and I'm not 18 yet so that is out of the question). I'm living with my parents and a few of my older siblings and the dogs we have at the house now dont really suit me so I want a different breed. My mom has a Golden Retriever and a Corgi, and my older sister has a Boston terrier (they will be moving to an apartment soon...) and I have a standard poodle that I am training as a service dog, I would LOVE to get one but it would be kind of hard to find an apartment that will allow me to have a large dog...

I'm looking for a dog that is 20 pounds or lighter (when I move out of the house into an apartment, alot of the rules are dogs 20 pounds or lighter), a dog that is smart, willing to learn, that is somewhat active, will be able to go on long walks every once in a while and that likes to cuddle.

What breeds do you reccommend?

I'm kinda leaning towards a Chihuahua or maybe a Shih tzu....:]

• Gold Top Dog

corgichick
    I have a standard poodle that I am training as a service dog, I would LOVE to get one but it would be kind of hard to find an apartment that will allow me to have a large dog...

Why not simply get a Mini or Toy Poodle then, if you like the breed?

corgichick
    dog that is smart, willing to learn, that is somewhat active, will be able to go on long walks every once in a while and that likes to cuddle.

personality and size wise it fits most of your requirements. Bichon would as well.

• Gold Top Dog

one of the smaller poodles would seem to fit your requirements. However, I'd suggest waiting until you are actually out on your own before getting one. Not sure how old you are, but you won't know what job you'll have and what hours to pay for rent and bills. Sometimes it's best to wait until you're settled before adding a pet. In the meantime, I'd enjoy your family's dogs, even if they aren't the best match

• Gold Top Dog

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do

Click in "dog breed selector", they ask you a lot of questions to search for the best breed suitable for you 

• Gold Top Dog

In my very limited experience, Shi tzus are lap dogs and don't like long walks - at least my prior roommates was like that. 

Here's a breed selector you could use to give you some ideas:

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do 

• Gold Top Dog

Havanese, Japanese Chin, English Toy Spaniel, Papillon

All are smart, small, and not terribly noisy.  I really like the Havanese that I've seen.  Most people that have them as pets do not keep them in long coat.  So, if grooming costs bother you, as a young person starting out, then you may want to choose one of the others.   

• Gold Top Dog

How about a Basenji?

• Gold Top Dog

I LOVE basenjis!!!!

I have been wanting one forever, but I'm having trouble finding a breeder in or around Illinois.

Can anybody help me?