Border Collie male or female?

• Gold Top Dog

Border Collie male or female?

Ok since I havent had any luck with aussies wanting to be toy/play driven I have been thinking about getting a BC. I like female dogs for the most part but was wondering if a male would be better to get than a female? I am also thinking of going through a rescue so what should I look for? I want a dog that I can try agility, frisbee, flyball with.

Looking at this shelter dog.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9337510
    • Gold Top Dog

If you want an agility/flyball/frisbee dog check this site:

http://k9disc.com/speak/index.php?board=33.0 

or this site:

http://www.discdogrescue.net/ 

The last site I linked also has links to other sport type dogs - mostly BC's aussies and cattle dogs or mixes of those 3. They evaluate dogs from shelters and such for their play drive, toy drive, etc.

There's a lot of BC rescues especially since they are such high drive dogs. A lot of them end up in shelters. 

• Gold Top Dog

One more thing - you can teach a dog to be toy driven. For building drive, check out the first website I linked - there's lots of articles about building toy and tug drive. I had to build some drive with Neiko - he started with some but not enough for my liking. Over time he's become a super frisbee nut because I made it really fun for him. That website will tell you how to go about it and I can help with questions you might have. 

• Gold Top Dog

Ok thanks. I would rather work with Jayde than get another dog at the moment but thought if I was to get another dog I should go with a rescue.But I'll work with Jayde first and see how that goes.

• Bronze

I agree. I would try to build up toy and play drive with my existing dogs rather than try to bring in a new dog. BCs are real intense. I don't know how active you are, but I do know how active you'll have to be when/if you get a BC Wink The BC owners I'm friends with all are very active agility competitors and most own their own farms or have access to a very large yard.

One tip: When building drive, you have to make it motivating. For most dogs, food is motivating enough. This is where the tug-n-treat comes in:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=596&ParentCat=74&string=tug%20n%20treat

You can actually make your own (we made ours - so much cheaper). It certainly takes a lot of work to build drive, but I guarantee you it'll take a lot more work to learn to control and handle very drivey, intense dogs (but there's Control Unleashed for that Wink)!

• Gold Top Dog

Cool thanks for that info. I'm gonna have to get one of those tugntreats thing. Jayde is very food motivated so that should get her interested.

We own 17 acres so plenty of land here to play on. And I have an Irish Setter that is very active so I have no problem with activity around here. 

• Gold Top Dog

Also, to build drive you can make yourself a long tug toy (I make mine out of fleece I buy from JoAnns - very cheap) then dangle it in front of her, then drag it on the ground around you, keeping it away from her. Every now and then let her get it and start a game of tug - use vocal sounds like growling and such to get her really in to it (I talk Neiko up like "oh you're so strong! good tug! blah blah). Then let her win every once in a while. At first she will probably just drop it when she wins, but eventually she'll think that the game is so much fun that she'll start to bring the tug back to you. If she doesn't drop the toy and walks away with it and lays down, then end the game and walk away. This teaches her that not bringing the toy back, ends the game.  When she brings it back, tell her "YES!" and start the game again. Taunting, not letting her win, letting her win, tossing it in the air and so on.

Remember, lots of excited talking and cheering to add that extra bit of enthusiasm for the dog.

Do the same thing with Frisbees (can use a pup disc for her since she's small yet), tease her with it, keeping it away from her, shaking it and moving it on the ground, let her win every now (when she bites the disc for the win, say "YES!";) and then and engage in tug. If you say "drop" and she does give her a roller to chase. A roller is where you roll the frisbee on the ground spinning on its edge so the dog has to chase it and grab it. Most dogs love this...it stimulates prey drive. When/if she brings it back say a big "YES!" start the game over.

Doing all this teaches that bringing the toy bag continues the game, dropping the toy when you ask, gets a bigger reward (roller, toss, etc), biting the toy while in your hand gets a verbal reward (YES!) and starts a game of tug.

• Bronze

My border is six months old now.  I am going to get him altered next month.  Will his personality change a bit? I've heard they get a bit less aggressive after neutering.  First time i've had a male. I've always had a female.

• Gold Top Dog

Wow!  He's beautiful!  I love the color and his eyes are so unique!  It's hard to say, about the female and male thing.  I always preferred females, since I felt it was easier to house train.  I didn't want a male dog to lift his leg on my furniture, walls, curtains, ME, etc.  I always figured w/ females they squat, so, the only damage their doing is to my floors.  Just remember, BC's a very active, they have to be busy ALL THE TIME.  They're not much of a house dog, by this I mean, too much time in the house, they may tend to get bored and get into things.  But for agility, ball, frisbee, etc. heck you can't beat 'em.  I don't do agility w/ Misty, but she does love the frisbee.  I would like to eventually do something like agility w/ Misty, since it's after Christmas, maybe I'll finally get a chance.  Good Luck!