Great Pyrenees anyone?

• Bronze

Great Pyrenees anyone?

I am a new Pyr owner,reading all i can about the breed and would love to talk with pyr owners.

• Gold Top Dog

Pyr mixes count? I know that it can be really hard to find information on Pyrs. I found books at Barnes & Noble and one really lame one at the public library. I researched them a lot because Misha's 1/2 Pyr. So... I could probably answer some questions. I know Ratsicles and PyrfectlyPyrenees (sp?) have Pyrs. And... I know of one other person off the top of my head, Jode88.

You could do a search for "Pyrenees" on the forums to find else who else has/knows a Pyr. 

• Gold Top Dog

Yep, I have Chief, a 6 month old working Pyrenees. He's a livestock guardian dog, and is bonded to my goats. Through protecting my goats from predators, he also protects my chickens, rabbits, and horses, and guards my property from human intruders.

I personally wouldn't have a Pyrenees as a companion dog- my first choice for a companion dog is an APBT- but for an LGD, I'm really glad I went with Chief. He's an amazing dog and does his job very well despite still being a puppy.

• Bronze

He is adorable,Why would you not choose him for a companion?

• Bronze

Yes,Mixes countBig SmileI have read alot of the breed on the internet and have spoken to two breeders trying to get all the info i can.I do not know anyone personally other then the lady i got the pups from(long story) that has one so its nice to talk to people that actually have one or know someone that has them to give me more info on the breed.

• Gold Top Dog

You might not be too far away from me. I'm on the SC/NC border. Misha likes meeting new dogs...

Do you have any particular questions right now? 

Ratsicles - I adore Chief (and his mustache, which I never noticed before) and hope everything is doing better now, for him and you, and Axl and Punch especially. 

• Bronze

I have tonsBig Smile

I read they are good with Children,protective of livestock and family?

• Gold Top Dog

That depends a lot on how they are raised. Pyrs tend to be one family dogs, favoring what they were raised with. If they're in the home this will be your family, if they're out with the goats (like Chief) it will be goats.

Where Misha was born there were a lot of children, and they didn't always know how to handle a puppy, so I would suggest carefully watching children with the puppies so no one gets hurt. If you keep interactions with children positive they should have no problems with them. Before Misha went through his fear stage Misha loved kids. He still likes baby things. He once followed Mikayla (she's 3) around the house with his nose at her armpit to make sure she was okay. Unfortunately I was an idiot and he has problems socializing now, but we're working on it.

Make sure not to let children, family, or strangers overwhelm the puppy. As long as the puppy is happy things are fine, but as soon as or even better before the puppy tells you it's done let it be done. Don't let people force themselves on the puppy. Otherwise you might end up with 80 lbs dogs dislocating your shoulder to get away from the 'scary' people.

As far as protection goes... I think Ratsicles would be better to answer that because Chief is an LGD. He actually guards his goats. Misha barks, then runs away. Misha didn't really bark until he was six months old, and then it was an accident.

Hope that helps. 

• Gold Top Dog

He is adorable,Why would you not choose him for a companion?

It's just personal preference as far as what I want for a companion. My house is small, and Pyrs are huge, so size is a factor. Their coats require a lot of upkeep, and they blow their coat twice a year...also not something I want to deal with- I HATE grooming.

Physical issues aside, I just don't think my personality would mesh well with theirs. I have six male dogs, and a ton of other animals, and to keep fights from happening or prey drive from getting out of control I need easily trained dogs who do what I say, no questions asked. I need a dog that will stop in its tracks and turn on a dime if I tell it to leave something alone. Pyrenees...they're smart dogs, but they were bred to work alone, outside of the influence of humans. Because of that, obedience is not really their forte. They will defend their families to the death, but that probably won't come when you call them. That, for me, is just a dealbreaker- again, because I have 6 male dogs, all of breeds prone to dog aggression, I have to have COMPLETE control over my dogs and the assurance that they'll do what I say, when I say it.

My Pyrenees is bonded to the goats, and they are his pack. We're friends- I feed him and hang out with him sometimes, but his first love is his goats. He doesn't come in the house, he doesn't interact with my other dogs, he just spends 24/7 out with the goats- so this arrangement works really well for us. If for some reason I had to get rid of my goats, he'd have to go with them- partly because he would be miserable as a pet and would never adapt to living in the house with other male dogs, and partly because I just wouldn't do well, at all, with having a Pyr as a pet.

That isn't to say that Pyrs aren't GREAT dogs- they are- they're just not what *I* would personally choose as a pet. It's entirely personal preference. As an LGD though? I probably wouldn't pick anything else. Chief is amazing.

I read they are good with Children,protective of livestock and family?

Pyrenees are good with whatever they are raised with. If they're raised with kids, they're good with kids. And yes, Pyrenees were originally, and still are, bred to live with and guard livestock- they aren't herding dogs, they're livestock guardian dogs- and a lot of people confuse the two. Pyrenees will guard with their lives whatever they consider their pack- in Chief's case, it's goats- but a companion Pyr will guard it's human family.

Keep in mind though that they are major barkers- part of their guarding involves running along fence lines and barking, alerting predators to their presence. Many pet Pyrs will bark constantly...it kind of depends on the dog, though.

Ratsicles - I adore Chief (and his mustache, which I never noticed before) and hope everything is doing better now, for him and you, and Axl and Punch especially. 

Thank you! Chief is doing excellently, as are Punchy and Axl. Punch and Chief both got the IgG treatment at Auburn, and they titered Axl to see if he had immunity- his antibody levels were high enough, so they didn't treat him. Punch never showed any symptoms and is fine, so we majorly lucked out. When I have a second I'll post a proper update in Chief's original thread.

• Bronze

Thanks,This really helps.I happened onto the 3 Pyr pups,A friend of mine that is new to the pyrs bred her female and had 10 pups,Mom squished several and some froze she was down to 4 pups so i told her to bring them to me and i would see what I could do.1 died and now I have 3,I got them when they where 10 days old,they are 6 weeks today.She decided with her work Schedule and money it was takeing for me with formula and vet visits that She could not take them back home and care for them the way i was doing so she told me to just keep them and do what i wanted with them.She has since given the Mother away being she doesnt trust to breed her again.

So i have 3 Pyr pups.1 is going to Grandchildren for Christmas,they have a huge farm and some farm animals,they had been wanting one.1 is going ot my Mom to foster untill we move onto our land and have more room and the other will stay with us in the house.So i didnt choose the Pyrs i happened onto them to help some dieing off pups.They are such sweeties and very quite.Being we are keeping one as our family pet i wanted to find out from other owners everything i can.

• Gold Top Dog

I have a half Pyrenees  female (the other half is Maremma, sort of the Italian version of the Pyr).  She's a love, has been great with the kids, and is wonderful at her job as a livestock guardian.  Lu is a wonderful dog and I'd certainly be happy to have a dog like her as a housedog if I didn't already have, er, eight housedogs.  I'd probably go for a Leonburger rather than a Pyrenees however.

• Gold Top Dog

My husband grew up with (or was raised by) a pyr & was devestated when it passed away. His parents now have a 3/4 pyr, 1/4 anatolian shepherd. He looks a lot like a a white st. bernard. He's pretty suspicious of strangers, but once he gets to know people, accepts them easily. He's super calm & gentle, but is very watchful and keeps the migrant farm laborers in the area off of their property (they tend to wander around & steal whatever looks unattended). Several times when my husband and I have gone for walks and I wander off to explore, Spot (original name, I know) has nudged me in the butt with his nose back to my husband or taken my hand gently in his mouth and lead me back. He's almost human in his intelligence. He won't do as he's told just because he's been told. But if there is an obvious good reason behind the request, he's pretty compliant. He's also bonded very well with their other male dogs and has never been involved in any type of fight, though the other dogs occassionally have dominance issues with one another. They're great dogs for the right people. We're also hoping to add one to our family shortly after the new year!

• Bronze

WOW! thats interesting,From all the people i have talked to have all said they are wonderufl family dogs and very protective.

Good luck on finding your new family member.