Canaan Dogs

• Gold Top Dog

Canaan Dogs

Anyone know anything about Canaan Dogs? I understand they're probably a bit too natural for my rabbity household, but I like natural dogs. A lot. Especially when they're not quite as natural as Dingoes. Dingoes are a little scary. I'd quite like a dog like a dingo, but actually domestic as opposed to loosely associating with humans while it suits them. Australia now has one Canaan Dog breeder arrived recently from overseas who is currently looking for a home for a young boy of companion quality. I'd love him of course, but not when there's rabbits running around the house, I'm afraid. Still, I'm curious and sent her an email. She said she was delighted to have an in depth conversation about Canaan Dogs, and I'm waiting for her to get back to me with her half. Smile In the meantime, anyone met one or owned one?
    • Gold Top Dog

I have a herding friend with two.  They are very independent and work for themselves more than as a team.  They are quite stand offish with unfamilar people.  These two really demonstrate the word aloof.  Her two (she has had others, I just never knew them) are well socialized and behave civily around people and dogs.  They have titles at both ends.  I would expect they are a challenge to train in any endeavor based on what I have seen in the herding venue.

• Gold Top Dog

Caoilta.co.uk has a lot of GREAT articles about the breed.

• Bronze

While not a Caanan, Jake here (the one that's not a Rottie) has a high sight oriented prey drive.  Good thing we don't have cats any more.  They "natural" dogs tend to be aloof of new peope, but clingy once they know you.  Also they are nearly always alpha types.  Jake is dominant over Bear our 100 lb. Rottie, it's quite funny to see sometimes.
    • Gold Top Dog

Canaans kind of come under the herding group, and supposedly they can be taught to think of other animals they live with as part of the family, but no one is very sure if this would extend to small, furry, prey animals. The breeder said they speak in whispers and then get really offended and cross when other dogs don't notice their whispers. They're very territorial and not very fond of dogs they don't know, although there are always exceptions.

The breeder said they did need a firm hand with solid boundaries, but that they would be quite happy with their social status if given those things. Still really interested, but it turns out the only Canaan breeder in the country is leaving the country again. Oh well. My mother liked the basenji idea I was courting a couple of years ago better. Wink Realistically, though, I'm not sure there will ever be room in my life for a dog with a strong prey drive. Crying