Papillon pedigrees and how to read?

• Gold Top Dog

Papillon pedigrees and how to read?

Having just found Rascal's AKC pedigree, I'm curious as to whether or not any of the names in his family tree are famous or interesting or well-known dogs. Anyone know? A quick google search didn't turn up much.

He's out of Cookie in Paradise and Adam's Paradise (sire). Adam is out of Thunderbear's Dakota and Summersky's Heart of Gold, and Cookie is out of Baron of Skidmore and My Girl Sissy. The "last generation back" is Little Prince of Butterfly with Little Princess of Butterfly, Tres Bien Rob Roy with Clear Sky Stevie, Marguis Francois with Glenmary Ste. Lin's HD Flirt (?), and Prince of Skidmore with Arizona Dutchess Wes.

Under each of the names there's a number that starts with T and another letter. Is that his registration number? Then there's a number in parentheses - whelp date, maybe? Then some of the ones have DNA #V--------- after their name. What does that mean? Is it like a DNA test number?

Thanks for helping me satiate my curiosity :)

• Gold Top Dog

The numbers that start with T are the dogs' AKC registration number.  The DNA number is just that.  It means the dog has been DNA tested and that is also on file with the AKC.  The DNA number does not indicate any health testing.  Generally a kennel name will be the first word in the title.  In the above, it looks like Thunderbear and Summersky might be kennels.  So, you may want to google "Summersky papillons" and see what comes up.  Generally pedigrees will also have titles and sometimes health tests (CERF,OFA,etc).

www.offa.org

OFA website

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you!! That was quite helpful. After some more extensive googling, it seems like Rascal is probably not as well-bred as I'd assumed he was by looking at him (shhhh! don't tell him!!!) - I found many generations back there were some "CH"s in front of the dogs, but it was a good way back. No OFAs etc. at all on the pedigrees I was looking at, so either nobody at all was tested or it just wasn't put on there. Although one of Rascal's ancestors showed up on a German website about papillon pedigrees so I'm not sure what that might signify...? So confusing. His breeder is also not listed on the Papillon Club of America website, or on any website at all that I could find, so that probably doesn't bode well... oh wells!

Anyway, I was just looking for fun and to educate myself. Thanks for the tips. :) 

• Gold Top Dog

I'm glad that helped.  Here's a link to one of the best basenji pedigree data bases. 

http://www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com/

She (as this is done by an individual basenji breeder in England) doesn't normally put the health tests that have been done, but she is starting to put the info for the Fanconi testing.  My dogs haven't been tested for Fanconi yet, but they have CERF and OFA hips done, but this info isn't on there.  Nor is their non AKC titles.  It's okay, one person can only do so much and I don't know how she's managed this data base for so long.  You can go all the way back to Africa with this pedigree.

• Gold Top Dog

None of the names sound familiar to me at all kennel wise, but that really doesnt matter.  ;)

Rascal's a cutie and Im sure he's really glad hes with you!  :)

• Gold Top Dog

Laurelin_429
     Rascal's a cutie and Im sure he's really glad hes with you!  :)

Hehe, thanks! I'm glad too. Smile  Also glad I didn't shell out zillions of dollars to buy him, assuming he was show-quality or something, either! lol! And Rascal's a pretty healthy little guy, except for his horribly plaque-prone teeth, so we're both grateful for that.

If I ever decided we wanted to compete in agility, does his official AKC registration mean that we could compete in AKC events, at least? (Even though he's neutered?)

• Gold Top Dog

If I ever decided we wanted to compete in agility, does his official AKC registration mean that we could compete in AKC events, at least? (Even though he's neutered?)

Yep, agility, obedience, rally and tracking.

• Gold Top Dog

Yes, if he's already registered I think he can do all companion and performance events, just not conformation b/c he's altered.  Even if he wasn't registered you could ILP him because he's obviously purebred. 

• Gold Top Dog

Haha, he wouldn't do well in conformation anyway, his toes stick out! Stick out tongue This is exciting news, we're going to be looking into some sort of "fun" classes soon, so if we enjoy it maybe we'll try to compete. :) Or maybe not! It's nice to have options, though. (But silly that they only let purebreds in.)

• Gold Top Dog

Haha, he wouldn't do well in conformation anyway, his toes stick out! Stick out tongue This is exciting news, we're going to be looking into some sort of "fun" classes soon, so if we enjoy it maybe we'll try to compete. :) Or maybe not! It's nice to have options, though. (But silly that they only let purebreds in.)

You can be a mutt and/or unregistered for CPE (agility) and APDT (rally), probably others as well.  I guess the AKC's point is that they are all about purebred dogs.  Coke can't compete AKC in anything, because the only breeds I could pass him off as (hovawart or English shepherd) are not AKC yet.