Black Mouth Cur

• Bronze

Black Mouth Cur

Not many people have heard of this breed, but I have an 8 month old Black Mouth Cur. She (Lacy) and her full brother (Zach) were given to me about 8 months ago, and I absolutely loved them both. Sadly, I lost the male dog (Zach) to my sister's German Shepherd. For those of you who do know this breed, Lacy is your typical fawn with black points, and Zach was (no joke) blue (the dark blue like a new pair of wrangler jeans) with silver points, and dark (marble counter top) green eyes. I still have Lacy, and absolutely love her, but I am wanting a pair, and an therefore looking for a Blue Cur like Zach. I am willing to do whatever it takes to find one, so if there is anyone who knows the kind of dog I am looking for and where to find one, can you please let me know?
    • Gold Top Dog

i've heard of them and i like the breed a lot. they're good working dogs... but i didnt know they came in blue lol do you have pictures of Zach? i bet he is interesting to look at!

• Gold Top Dog

where are you located? they're pretty common here in kentucky. i think they're a southern breed. try looking on petfinder.com

• Bronze

I did more research last night and foung out that Zach was a Blue Lacy cur. Sadly I never got any pictures of Zach, he died before I could get any. I am working on getting some of his sister, Lacy though. I didn't know Zach was a Blue Lacy dog before I named his sister Lacy, how funny is that?
    • Gold Top Dog

i did an image search.. wow! they ARE pretty! look a bit like Dobermans.. i wonder if they had a hand in their breeding background?  

• Gold Top Dog

Ah, the blue lacy--official state dog of Texas.  Big Smile  I've never been around them much, but had some friends in Lubbock who looked into buying one. I think they were able to find a breeder in the Lubbock area, but I have no idea who.

• Gold Top Dog

I have no idea, but I'd like to see pics.

• Puppy

Black Mouth Curs are absolutely beautiful dogs and I wish I had some property so I could have one. From my understanding, they are a Southern Breed.

I know there are a few breeders in the state of Florida, but I'm not sure where exactly because I knew I couldn't pursue the idea further. I did a search on Petfinder.com and not too many came up, mostly mixes. Good luck in your search!

• Gold Top Dog

I have never met anyone with that breed.  Wasn't the dog in Old Yeller a black mouth cur??  Or am I wrong?  Either way, I'd love to see some pictures of your dog! 

• Gold Top Dog

in the book Old Yeller was several legendary family dogs from the author's history, all rolled into one dog.

the actor dog, Spike i think his name was, was a pound puppy that was in a few other films besides this one. he had to be trimmed for the film because he had too much ruff around his neck to look like Old Yeller... of course.. in the book Old Yeller was also a bob tailed dog. sure glad they didnt go THAT far for book to film accuracy!  

there arent many southern breeders that advertise pups for sale. if they do then you should probably steer clear of them. they're more than likely just selling the name and not quality. but once again i say it... they're working dogs. hardly ideal for a lazy house dog.

i wouldnt mind having a BMC one day... they're great multi-tasking dogs! kinda like Am.Bulls...  

• Gold Top Dog

DumDog
    the actor dog, Spike i think his name was, was a pound puppy

I had a feeling that I was wrong!!!  Of well!  Not the first time that I have been wrong and it most likely will not be the last time!! 

• Gold Top Dog

a lot of people speculate that Spike was a BMC, or that the dog in the book was a BMC lol but its really up to the imagination of the reader.. and the fact that Spike was a shelter dog.. heck he very well COULD be a BMC mix lol
    i also used to believe he was.. but now i'm not so sure. he was a beauty, to be sure!! i loved the way he was built!