Beagles!!

• Gold Top Dog

Beagles!!

I've been curious for a while now about the beagle. I've read up on them and in the future I plan on buying a puppy (not for a long time) and I was wondering what is the general price for a buying a puppy from a good breeder. Also what are the general health problems I should look out for. As I said, I won't be getting one for a while. My BF wants a Great Dane first and I think Maze can only handle one new dog at a time. lol 

• Gold Top Dog
    It really varies on your location. Good breeders who show and health test out here in Cali sell their puppies for $1000-$2000 depending on the breeder. I do not know about the rest of the US, but price should not be the first concern when looking at a puppy. Your priorities should be will how you and the breeder get along, the health and temperment, and the care that the puppy received as a younging.
    • Gold Top Dog

I knew all that. I was just curious as to the average price range of the puppies. If I don't like the breeder or how they raise their dogs, I'll go somewhere else in a heartbeat. But I'm not going to start researching breeders right now when I won't be even looking at the puppy for atleast 4 to 5 years. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Where are you located? That will help me be able to tell you what the average price will be.
    • Gold Top Dog

BC Canada.. Sorry I thought it said so under my name.. *checks* Hmmm must fix that. 

If and when I do decide to get a puppy, and I find a good breeder that I like. I don't mind traveling some distance to pick it up.

• Gold Top Dog
    I would think, with the breeders I know in the area, they probably average $800-$1000 for a nice quality Beagle.
    • Gold Top Dog

That's not bad. I kinda figured I'd have to pay about 1000$. Thanks for the info Smile 

• Gold Top Dog
    If you need a referral to the a breeder up there, just let me know and I can get you some names.
    • Gold Top Dog

Great thanks!! I'll keep that in mind! Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

Well, price would be insubstantial and this point, since prices go up!  But Gina is the expert on Beagles.

• Gold Top Dog
    I just now noticed that you asked about general health concerns.
    To start, epilepsy is a BIG problem in the breed. We are trying to work to eliminate it, but it is a hard one as there is no genetic health testing for it. This link will give you a list of problems, both common and uncommon, that have occurred in the breed. http://clubs.akc.org/NBC/beagle_health_problems.htm
    You want to find a breeder that does health test. All my breeding dogs are OFA hip, elbow, and heart certified, and CERF certified and all the dogs that I breed my bitches to, the same. These are the most basic tests. I would want my breeder to do at least hip, eyes, and heart.