Are miniature pinschers hard to house train?

• Gold Top Dog

Are miniature pinschers hard to house train?

I hope to not offend anyone with this question. If I do, let me apologize in advance. A friend recently bought a min pin puppy and seems to having very little trouble house training it. Would you guys say one breed is more prone to difficulty in this area than others?

In comparison to some other breeds, who seem to be notorious for being difficult to house train like dachshunds and boston terriers, where would min pins rank? Not saying that ALL dachshunds and bostons are hard to house train, by any means, but I've noticed lots of people asking for help/suggestions when it comes to training these breeds. 

• Gold Top Dog

i think one important thing to remember with small dogs is they also have small bladders.

my guess is the difficulty in training comes from bad timing. some breeds can hold it longer than others, puppies seem to pee every ten minutes- and poop - etc and so on. so with a small breed puppy... they have to go extra often. if you fail to figure out their frequency schedule then they will just... go where ever they have room to go since they have no choice in the matter.... and the last thing you want is a small breed dog learning its ok to eliminate inside their crate... or under your dining table.. closet.. or any other hidden out of the way place in your house Hmm

• Puppy

We used to have a min pin. She was a little harder to trian than some dogs i've owned. I have since learned that it was more my fault than hers. Crate training is the first step. most dogs do not want to go where they sleep.

Small puppy, small bladder. If you feed on a schedule it can help to. Another thing that can help is called tethering. You actuall tie the dog to you. That way they are where you are. If they start to circle your going to know it. It's very easy to lose track of them when your watching TV or cleaning, etc.

Taking a puppy class is good for many reasons. It helps you learn together and helps in socialization. Petsmart has a good class if there is one in your area.

• Gold Top Dog

tethering worked for me many times... but best used in conjunction with a crate. the dog NEEDS to be out and about with you... but you NEED to be able to keep an eye on it at all times. small dogs can be crafty about zipping around behind the sofa to relieve themselves, then come bouncing back to you as if nothing unusual has happened.