komondor

• Gold Top Dog

komondor

i saw one of these dogs on tv at a dog show. they look rather unique, do they exist in great numbers here in the usa? anyone have any experience with them? i wouldnt mind another dog, perhaps one that would take more of a challenge to raise. the kuvasz are brilliant looking as well.

• Gold Top Dog

I have a friend who's mother had 2 of them.  He said that the breed as a whole do not like strangers at all.  And the cords take alot of work. 

I think Komondorak are stunning too.  But I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of dog. 

• Gold Top Dog

Those cords must be a pain to clean, i wonder how long that dog would take to clean after a romp in the mud

• Gold Top Dog

I remember watching something on them that said it took them a day or two to completely dry when they're adults with the cords.  I think they are awesome looking dogs, but there's just no way I could handle all that hair and all the upkeep.  I've also heard that they were very aloof dogs, but I've never met one in person.

• Gold Top Dog

They can be dog aggressive (they were bred to be independent guardians).  The cords require constant maintaince and will smell very musty if they get wet and are not cared for properly.   You need to tie up cords to prevent them from getting soaked in urine or matted with ***.  The cords collect dust, muck, leaves, sticks, etc.

They are not dogs for a pet or casual owner.  They are challenging to train and do not respond well to man handling (but you must be strong enough to stop them, if they get it in their heads to go after something).  The cords are incredibly heavy as the dog ages.  I have seen multiple dogs with aggression and reactive behaviors on lead at dog shows, have a friend who owns two, and the only breed we have had to disqualify due to a  biting incident (followed with further aggression behaviors) at our dog show (in 17 years).

• Gold Top Dog

Having camped next to a Komondor handler I learned alot about the dog.  Let's just say that something as simple as a bath takes 3-5 days.  Doesn't sound like fun to me.

With regard to temperment...like any LGD they can and will be stranger (both dog and human) aggressive if not socialized intensely during the critical periods.  Even ones that are "highly social" for the breed are very reserved by our standards.  They have a primitive mindset and are independent thinkers.  Even if you say "hey this guy's ok" the dog will make up his/her mind as to just how "ok" that person is or isn't.    

They are large and powerful dogs as well.  So training them would have to be a learning experience for the new owner- probably a combination of several positive techniques.  Not a dog for the dog park by any means.  These dogs have been bred very closely to standard-and that includes temperment. 

• Gold Top Dog

yeah i am interested in this breed as well but the coat is a bit of a turn off for me. so i settled for the next best thing with American Bulldogs... but the mindset is the same in regards to strangers "Oh... you only THINK that meter man is safe!! you just let me handle this guy.."

you can get the same attitude of the Komondor but less coat if you go to any other large guard dog (flock guardians i mean) the Caucasian Mountain Dog to name one... but they are SUPER DUPER INTENSE!! you just about have to be Lou Ferrigno to handle one.

they make Pit Bulls and Rottweilers look like cute baby lambs... 

• Gold Top Dog

The only ones I've met smelled like something musty/mildew type odor.  And this was in New Mexico, a very dry climate.  I can't imagine having one in a place like Atlanta Ga, or another damp climate. 

• Gold Top Dog

the coat maintenance is probably a deal breaker, combined with intense protective drive.  

• Gold Top Dog

I've known some that were working LGDs- but they were shaved down 2x a year, and I only met them the once, just after their semi-annual shavedown.