Mini Poodles ADVICE NEEDED

• Gold Top Dog

Mini Poodles ADVICE NEEDED

I Have A Question..Well A Couple..First How Much Do Mini Poodles Usually Go For? Second Are They Hyper Active Dogs? And Third Dog they Male Good Family Dogs..With Children? The Reason I Ask Is Because I Am Interested In Buying One For A Family Pet..And There Is A 19 Month Old Little Boy In The House Who Loves To Give All The Animals Kisses All The Time So Any Advice Or Answers Would Be Very Helpful.

And Anyone Who As One Or More Could I See Pictures?

Thank You

• Gold Top Dog

I have no idea on price.  The miniture poodles that I have known are hyper and a bit snippy.  I would rather have a larger dog around children...they are a bit sturdier.  And a 19 month old is pretty young to have around a pup.  I'm sorry, but especially if he's a kisser.  He's gonna end up getting nipped, cuz the pup will think that's what HE is trying to do to him.

• Gold Top Dog

Anyone Else Have Any Advice..It's Really Needed 

• Gold Top Dog

I have to agree with Glenda... small poodles can be a little hyper, and nippy.  You may want to look into a larger dog.  My standard is fabulous with kids.

• Gold Top Dog

Small dog, toddler person,,, just a bite waiting to happen in many cases.  A toy dog (stuffed) for the hugs and kisses is suggested.  Do some research with rescues in your area and dog shows.  That will help you find dogs to think about.  That will help you identify:  size, activity level, coat care, availability etc which are all things to consider when planning to add a dog to your family.

As to photos check out the poodle club of america or google images.

• Bronze

Me stepfather used to breed toy poodles and the are VERY! smart and can take ownership of one family meber and guard that person.  So it would be wise to wait until your child is older AKC poodles can go for $200 for a pet to over $1000 for show dogs.  A rescue dog would be great.  I like rescue dogs just try tto find out if they have socialized around children.  Poodles are great around children when they are properly introduced as with most dogs.

Good Luck!

John Runer

• Gold Top Dog

Mini poodles from a reputable breeder, at least in Texas, are around $800 for a pet quality dog (spay/neuter contract) of either sex. I found some for more but none for less.

I have to disagree to some extent with folks here- I think minis can be great with kids. They *do* seem to be the most energetic, pound for pound, of the three varieties. I think a large mini/small standard (often findable in rescue) is the BEST size poodle for families with kids- small enough to be managable, big enough to play. A lot of WELL BRED minis are right in the 14-15" range, and that's a great size for anything but tiny kids.