Pomeranian?

• Gold Top Dog

Pomeranian?

What kind of a pet does a pomeranian make? Do they like to bark and are they friendly with cats and other dogs and people also?
    • Gold Top Dog
    my neighbor has one - that thing barks if a flea farts.
    They have 3 dogs all get along fine.
    But that's the only one I've ever met.
    And I honestly believe it's an owner issue with those people and not necessarily the dog.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Like most any small dog, people tend not to train them.  They scoop them up to get them out of trouble and tend to not train it.

do poms bark?  Yep, sure do.  Can it be trained not to be barky?  Yes it sure can. 

ANY SMALL DOG will do exactly what you don't want it to do.  Unfortunately Reece Witherspoon's movies and a few other Hollywood celebrities have made poms chis and other small dogs the ultimate cute thing to have -- but you *must* train them.  They need obedience class just like any other dog.  They need to be socialized and trained to BE friendly just like any other dog -- it doesn't just happen.

Cats?  Depends on the situation and the cat -- remember a pom and cats are pretty much the same size -- so you need to teach them both to respect each other and get along.  Yep -- it's again *training*. 

My first dog was a pom/peke mix and a more wonderful dog I'll never have again -- but I trained all the time with her.  She went everywhere with me -- and if I couldn't take her on a leash, she rode on my shoulder or in my purse.  This was 34 years ago -- long before it was 'popular'.  However, she knew it was just her place to ride -- I didn't snatch her up to get her out of the way, nor did I tolerate bad behavior from her.  She was one of the first pet therapy dogs (before it was even a term!) -- I taught developmentally disabled children -- she went with me and helped the occupational therapist and I all day long. 

Poms are delightful dogs -- but watch the breed-related health problems.  Without checking I *think* PRA is a problem (narrow-snouted dogs - often happens), and I think also patellar problems are big.  I think you'll find both the AKC and ASPCA website may be able to shed light for you on what breed related problems to avoid -- and you want a VERY good breeder, not just someone who happens to have puppies.

Good luck.  Good questions too by the way!
    • Bronze
    I have a pom and 3 pits our pom is treated just like the big guys. Our pom is no better than our pits, he to must go potty out side and he knows this.We didn't put kid gloves on with him. He is turning out to be a very good dog. He is just now 5 months old and is house broken(crated at night, cause i can't see him go to the door) I have had people ask me why he isn't a barker and how did i get him completly house broken and iv'e told them, he know's the house rules.
    • Gold Top Dog
    how do u know if the breader is a real breader and a good breader
    • Bronze
    well i can only tell you what i look for, other people might have other opinions. Number one when i go to look at puppies, i make sure that it is clean and the pups are clean and the parents are healthy. I have walked into places where it is wall to wall crates filled with puppies and adults. I have turned around and left asap.All though i have felt sorry for the pups, i will not support a puppy mill. Health guarantee and breeders that know about the breed thier breeding.I'm sure there is more and some one else can add to this.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: marynh

[:D] As a pom owner I can relate to that!

My sister didn't train her dog, we're reaping what she has sewn right now.

Training is a must, we're making slow progress, but progress none the less. Training when they're very young is very important.
    • Puppy

Amen!

My new pom is amso a quiet little doggy. When the doorbell rings we don't allow barking and he doesn't bark - much. He is getting better, but he is still less than five months old and still very much a puppy. His puppy pics are here...

http://www.AliLimbali.com/NewPuppy

But training is the key. All dogs want to please. They just have to be shown the ropes. If a dog - any dog - knows that incessant barking is bothering you, then they won't bark incessantly.

btw, We have a new pom and a ten-year-old border collie.

• Gold Top Dog

marynh

Off topic, I LOLed and snorted when I read this, hilarious!! but true. I have seen poms that bark at anything and everything!

• Gold Top Dog

k.m.a
    ORIGINAL: marynh

[:D] As a pom owner I can relate to that!

My sister didn't train her dog, we're reaping what she has sewn right now.

Training is a must, we're making slow progress, but progress none the less. Training when they're very young is very important.

I have a pom too, although he was about a year and 8 months when I got him.  He too, barks at EVERYTHING.  He is now enrolled in a training class and he is VERY smart.  It's ashame the previous owner didn't work with him AT ALL; he knew nothing and I am starting with a two year old who isn't potty trained or trained in any other way, but we are making progress.  I don't baby him either.  I've seen way too many small dogs who are babied and then they may be afraid of others or nippy with them, I want my dogs to love other people.  So, yes, training is a must! 

Youmight be able to rescue one too, maybe check petfinder?? 

• Gold Top Dog

FreebiesTownCOM
    how do u know if the breader is a real breader and a good breader

I know this is an old thread that got bumped, but... 

http://thebarkingdog.dutchbingo.net/breeder.htm#ethicalbreeder 

• Puppy

I think Pomeranians make wonderful pets!  And I must confess, I've owned (or been owned by) a pom or two for the past 17+ years!  They are generally good-natured companions, and I've found them, the majority of the time, to wear a "happy" expression, often appearing to "smile."  Poms are somewhat territorial, very alert, and protective of their homes and people; therein lies the root of the barking problem.  I've learned to appreciate the barks of warning when someone is at the door (knocking or ringing the bell), but must remind my pom regularly when enough is enough.  This basically means you must be stronger-minded, more intelligent, and more diligent than your dog--no small task when speaking of a pom!  But a pom's affection toward and devotion to its person is second to none, and one of the great rewards of ownership.  Poms are quite sturdy little dogs.  However, my first pom did have a luxating patella in one leg, and my current pom has a food allergy (chicken, of all things!), but you will finds those purchased from reputable breeders are generally very sound and healthy into old age, with good care and nutrition.  The breed (especially one smaller sized) tends to have dental problems, so an owner must be aggressive in preventative treatment.  And with their luxurious coats, poms must be groomed regularly to avoid matting and massive shedding.  Mine gets a bath every other week, with a good brushing or two weekly (and more if she can con me into it ... she LOVES to be groomed!).  With this schedule, I seldom notice any pet hair in my home.  Pom have bursts of mad energy at times, running and playing wildly, and then in a blink will be asleep like little angels.  But if you are one who loves long walks, leisurely or otherwise, your pom can keep pace with you in both distance and endurance without problem.  They are generally friendly by nature, inquisitive and not aggressive, but some do tend toward suspicion of strangers (especially when feeling "protective" of their person!).  I've never had a problem with aggression by any of my poms toward other dogs or cats, and wouldn't expect it unless they felt very threatened.  These are just a few details of my experience with pomeranians, and I would highly recommend them ... but be very careful!  Poms are like potato chips ... it's hard to have just one!

• Bronze

My mom has a 7 year old pom and  she is tiny 2LBS 8 oz. She totally lost her coat about 3 years ago and we have had about every test there was done on her. She is starting to get some of her hair back but she looks so bad like she  has mange i mean she is completely bald in lots of places and her hair is comming back in wads. Just like bigger breeds they do require special attention at times. Like always watching your feet so you don't step on them. LOL.SHe also has a luxating patella and she wont take a drink of water unless you put your finger in the water bowl (really) but this said good luck on whatever you choose.