"--doodle" question - just curious

• Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: LizzieCollie

Seth: Just to comment, I dont believe that you could show us any responsible Lab/Poodle MIX breeders. Not even one. They can do all the health testing and guarantees they wish but the person who intentionally breeds mixed breeds is not a responsible breeder. It doesnt matter how good they look they are not in this to 'create' a new breed because as stated many many times the AKC will not register a dog with only two breeds, so why do they do it? To make money!

Why do you call these breeders responsible when they are intentionally creating mixed breed dogs who have no actual purpose for the dogs, and no actual 'job' for them? Every purebred today was bred with a specific task in mind. Yes even the Shih Tzu or the 'ugly' Pug as you stated. From herding to lap dog they were all bred with a purpose. Why are these Poodle mixes being created? To be pets! There are dozens or purebreds or homeless mutts that would be great pets if given the chance!

If you were to spend a day in the streets of Puerto Rico (and I dont mean the 5 star hotels and nice beaches) you would NEVER again applaud the intentional breeding of mutts. Everywhere you go there are dozens and dozens of dogs on the streets. Why? because someone thought 'hey these two dogs are cute, we could probably sell the pups for lots!' and when they realized that they couldnt they dumped them on the nearest street corner to fend for themselves.

Now how can you applaud such breedings when there are so many dogs in the streets and in shelters?

I'm sure there's some responsible Doodle breeders out there. I personally haven't met one but I'm sure they're out there. I have met breeders who are responsibly striving to create new breeds. The interesting thing is these "breeds" are practically unknown which is a good thing because popularity doesn't seem to bode well for the dog world. Is it me or has anyone else noticed that when new breeds are petitioning for recognition, they are practically unknown. Take the Black Russian Terrier. That's a new breed and I didn't hear of it until it began to seek AKC recognition(which it did gain).

Anyhoo, I wouldn't go so far as to say that responsibly bred mixed breeds(with the intention of creating a new breed) have no place in this world. In all honesty, I would take a responsibly bred mixed breed dog over a poorly bred purebreed one.
    • Bronze
    I have always kind of felt that the "designer breeders" out there were ripping off the public.  When you think of all the adorable mixed breeds in shelters, and the only difference between them and a home and the "oodles" and "uggles" is advertising and a hefty price tag.  Maybe those of us in Rescue work need to come up with catchy sounding fashion names for our charges and people will just be lining up to adopt.  Its is worth a try
    • Gold Top Dog
    I am not really sure if this helps but, after I got my cockapoo Bailey, I did some research. I am not one of those people to buy a designer dog just because it is the thing to do but, that was another topic[&:] Anyway, in doing my research I read that most cockapoos today are a result of one cockapoo breeding with another and not a poodle breeding with a cocker. I am not sure where I heard this or what but, it was somewhere on line. ::shrug::
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would be REALLY interested in seeing these responsible "-doodle" breeders as well. Can you please link us?
    • Gold Top Dog
    The Cockapoo Club of America has a breeding rating system to help set standards of responsible cockapoo breeding.    Here is the website:

http://www.cockapooclub.com/

Here is a breeder who is striving to have the cockapoo recognized as a breed:

http://sports.racer.net/cockapoos.htm
    • Puppy
    I think breeding designer dogs merely for profit with no thought to the health issues that could result is deplorable. I love all dogs including mixed breeds, but selling them to uninformed people for thousands is nothing less than criminal.The dogs that are used to get these pups are just ordinary pet quality, usually not check for any genetic problems that may be unique to the breed. In the mean time wonderful pure and mixed breed dogs are waiting in shelters all over the U.S. just hoping some one will come and adopt them before there time is up.
    • Puppy

Bouviers are great dogs with an established heritage and lengthy, European lineage. These dogs were routinely used as guards and herders in the 17th Century in Belgium and France and served as retrievers in WWII. My Bouvier is a CKC registered breed with a champion father and registered mother who has won awards for showing, and although I'm not a purist in regards to dogs and breeds, having had dogs of mixed breeds, my Bouvier is very much a strong, singular breed. He is a superb dog, but not a "pet" or a toy breed in any way.

The Labradoodles seem like an amiable breed and perhaps they take the best characteristics from either of their breed but there isn't a comparison in anyway between Labradoodles and Bouviers. There are a few I run into at the off-leash area and they are more like Labs in their temperament, and seem less like the Standard Poodles, which do share some affinities with dogs like Bouviers when they are purebred. So you can't even determine which of their mixture is strongest. The only dog I have seen that could be compared to a Bouvier was a Giant Schnauzer.

Anyway, what do others think about comparisons of mixed and purebred dogs? Can you even really make them? Isn't it really like comparing two very different things? It certainly differentiates the serious breeders of dogs from the puppy mills or the recreational backyard breeders of mixed varieties.

• Gold Top Dog

LizzieCollie

Im sorry if this has been said but I havent read through all the posts. TRUE good breeders whos only goal is to improve breed standard will still produce pet quality pups.

Breeding to "improve the breed standard" has actually caused a lot of issues in some breeds. The idea of breeding purebred dogs should be to maintain the breed, not "improve" it. While a breeder may hope to improve on certain traits their dogs have, they should be aiming to maintain the breed's look and character in each generation.

Some breeds were never intended to be anything more than pets and some mixed breeds are selectively bred for work or sport. It comes down to personal choice really, I don't think anyone is being forced to buy a type of dog they don't want.