Havanese??

• Gold Top Dog

Havanese??

Anyone out there owned by a Havanese?  We are....would love to exchange experiences...our Winston is almost 9 months old....
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would love to learn more about this breed.
    It wasn't until recently I saw one at my local dog run, it was soo small.
    At first I thought it was a shih tzu but the face look different. 
    Their very cute......hehe.  The pup was small, I wonder how big they grow up to?
    • Gold Top Dog
    They are supposed to be max 10 to 12 lbs.  Mine is at 9.5 lbs now but he's got long legs.  I didn't know anything about the breed until after we got the puppy.  EVERYONE asks me if it's a shihtzu - but Havanese noses are more like Maltese noses.  I'm still waiting to see another Havanese, I've only seen pictures of other ones, and since we keep our pup's hair really short, he doesn't look anything like the ones I see in the pictures, who have long wavy hair.  Their hair is silk-like, very very soft. I'm going to try to post a picture... I hope this works.

• Silver
    I don't own a havanese, but my boss at work does. His office is in his home so I'm with her 40 hours a week. Even after working for him for over three years, she still barks at me every morning. She quickly calms down and will sit in my lap while I do my typing. She does prefer to just sleep on the back of the big chair in the room though. We call her the diva!
    • Gold Top Dog
    That's too funny that she barks at you every morning, our Hav is becoming quite the little guard dog, any strange sound and he has this "mean dog" bark, which is sooo not him.  I'm also finding that he learns tricks very easily.  I read somewhere that the breed used to be  used for circus dogs, so they do learn tricks easily.  They get along very very well with kids.
    I just found out that a puppy mill in PA was raided and of the 320 dogs that they seized, 80 of them were Havs...so hopefully more people will be adopting these dogs in the very near future.  They are amazing animals.  Very smart and great tempermants.
    • Puppy

Winston is very cute.  My experience with Havanese (over 13 years) is that there is still a lot of variety in type and size.  I have seen as big as 20 lbs with very long legs and as small as 4 lbs.  My 13 year old male was 18 pounds in his prime but now weighs closer to 14 lbs.  He also has a very curly coat (which is now a fault but wasn't when I bought him).  I've seen short, fine coats and thick, to the ground coats.  Straight and wavy and curly.  I even ran across an albino Havanese a couple of years in Olympia, WA.  Pink eyes and nose and very aggressive.  They are great little dogs. Some are shy but most are outgoing, confident little dogs.  My Ernie has never met an enemy and is the smartest dog I've ever owned. 

• Bronze
    I have a Havanese mix and she's a doll. Very much the Havanese personality as you've described. I adopted her from a shelter not caring what she was, but down the road I'd go out of my way to get a Havanese or Havanese mix. Throroughly nice little dogs, with just enough spice to be interesting :)