Breeding Process

• Gold Top Dog

Breeding Process

Ok,  this is going to sound stupid. But I've never expirenced the dog breeding process. Can somebody who is a responsible breeder please tell everybody what types of dogs you need (boy and girl) to breed dogs. Could you also explain the process for those who have a hard time understanding why their dog won't get pregnant.....

Hmmm....I wonder who that is??

LOL.....it sounds stupid but hey somebody has to learn!
    • Gold Top Dog
    What do you mean by "types" of dogs?  If I were looking for a purebred German Shepherd, I would only consider purchasing a dog whose sire and dam were both OFAed, one or both had SchH title, both had some conformation title (depends on the kennel club/country), and preferrably both were kkl1 or kkl2, but those "types" of things are specifically relevant to German Shepherds, if that's what you mean.  If I was looking for another breed, I'd make sure to understand what titles are relevant to indicating a quality dog of that breed before looking for a dog.  People shouldn't breed unless their dogs have had these health tests, judges evaluated their structure, and judges evaluated them based on the tasks the breed exists to perform.

If someone doesn't know the breeding process (like when to mate the dogs, how to do it, etc), then they should not be breeding AT ALL.  If they are genuinely interested, find a mentor of the particular breed and get some help.
    • Silver
    Agree with above.

If you haven't done any health testing then you shouldn't be breeding your dogs. Especially the Goldens. They have lots of health issues like hip dysplasia, hypothyroidism, vonWillebrands disease, heart diseast, etc etc.

You also have to step back and think about WHY you want to breed your dog. If its because you have a pet that you really love and believe that the puppies will be just as special, then that is the absolute wrong reason to breed  a dog. There are thousands of unwanted pets in shelters that die every day and breeding a dog for the sake of breeding is only exacerbating this problem.

Breeding dogs is expensive if its done correctly and requires time, dedication and years of knowledge in your background. If you are serious about breeding Goldens than go to a dog show or field trial and talk to other breeders. They will help steer you in the right direction.

• Gold Top Dog
    No NO NO!!!

My girl is spayed (she has to she has an ILP) under the AKC and she has to be spayed.

The reason I brought up this was because some people on this forum don't know what sex of dogs you need to breed dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i see your purpose of this thread. it can serve two purposes... to help people breed that shouldnt be, but at least they MIGHT follow the rules and do it the right way.... God Willing!!

so i say... before breeding dogs... ask yourself why.
    money?
    because you like puppies?
    want to pass on your dog's specialness?
    what do you plan to do if no one wants a puppy? seven or more puppies are hard to control and train... can you do that alone?
    seven or more unruly and hyper adult dogs are DANGEROUS. are you prepared to do the right thing if they get loose and kill something or damage private property? can afford the legal responsibilities?
    and then you come to the next and probably the most important question....
    is your dog or bitch healthy? have there been any genetic health problems in the past? are there any in the future?
    has your dog been looked at by a vet or several other breeders, and what was their opinion? good stock, or kinda good, or not good at all?
    how is the temperament? if your dog is ill tempered then its either a health problem, genetic, or bad training?
    if its bad training then is that YOUR fault or the previous owner's fault?

there are many other questions to ask before the male and female meet for the first time.... like... is the other half of the breeding pair a quality dog? all the questions above apply to that dog as well.
    if someone propositions you to breed your dog to theirs and you ask them what their plans are and their answer is "Well i just want one of his/her pups" ..... walk away.....

after you do all of that.... read this
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breeding.htm
    and if you are still interested... get a mentor!!