need breed ideas

• Gold Top Dog

need breed ideas

So I've been throwing around the idea of getting a 2nd dog to coexist with Zoe, my mini dachshund.  I am trying to think of what breeds would be suitable. I would be looking for a dog that is small in size (around 12-15 lbs), short-haired (dh does not like long hair dogs), medium activity level and I would be interested in doing some obedience with him (beyond the basics I mean). 

I am open to mixed breeds but I would just like some ideas of what breeds or mixes would be a good match.  
    • Silver
    Hmm ..Chihuahua's are pretty smart and are usualy good with other dogs. It might be kinda hard to do obedience with a dog that small, tho.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Not hard at all to do obedience with a dog that size! I got interested in obedience after watching a Pom in utility. :) My nxt dog is giong to be a 15 poundish Eskie or German Spitz.

I would contact Chihuahua rescue and look for an oversized Chihuahua IF you like the Chihuahua personalities other than this- they're a bit terrier-like, the good ones, not nervous at all. My little foster, Queso, is a blast to train, plays well with big dogs, and would suit perfectly, and I know there's more out there like him. He's pretty laid back, but he'd be a great obedience dog for someone because he enjoys training so much.

You might also look at Rat Terriers. They can vary a LOT in energy level, but most aren't HORRIBLY active- they're not JRTs or anything. There are a lot of Chih x rat terrier types in rescue, too.

I think min pins would be more active than you want, and I don't think the Chinese Crested personality would suit you very well, plus they need grooming. But check out Chihs and Rat Terriers and I'll see if I can think of anything else.
    • Gold Top Dog
    What about a Boston Terrier? You can find one ranging in your preferred size, they're short coated, they get along with other dogs, they're not crazy hyper and they do well in obedience. I'm working on Rally with Shelby. [:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks for the replies - I'm thinking some type of chi, min pin, rat terrier type mix would be good.  Purebred chis would be too small and purebred min pins or rat terriers will be a little too energetic.  It would have to be the right type of mix.  From what I've seen it looks like the rescue organizations in my area for these types of dogs have long waiting lists though!
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Pwca
    ...most aren't HORRIBLY active- they're not JRTs or anything....

Russells aren't all hyperactive.  It all depends on training and breeding.  My mentor will not breed a dog if it is completely hyperactive.  If they are like that, we usually find a good home that will provide training.  Mine are actually champion nappers!  If I'm not playing with them, they usually sleep!  They are smart and so much fun to train.  I actually have a puppy(Colton's daughter) visiting for some training.  They are probably one of my favorite dogs to train because they are very willing to learn!  Plus, they come in short hair, and long hair!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I was going to suggest a Boston or JRT, but everyobody else beat me to it!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Why do people constantly stereotype the JRT as a bad dog? They aren't. Bad dogs are a result of bad owners.

Jenns,

How about an American eskie spitz? Is the hair too long?
    • Gold Top Dog
    JRTs aren't bad dogs, but their popularity has led to a HUGE number of BYBs breeding less-than-stellar temperaments, IMO- not that that's not a concern with the other breeds I suggested, but it's there. And in my experience, they just tend to be a lot more active than your average RT.

Another possibility that just occured to me would be a toy Manchester.
    • Gold Top Dog
    For those who have experience with calmer JRT's, how much exercise would they typically need?
    • Gold Top Dog
    when i had mine just riding a bike every day (not all that far either, i could have easily walked to my destination but i had to be there quick) was enough for her. or throwing the ball or playing tug for about an hour. for the most part she was a lazy bum lol