Suggestions in picking a breed?

• Puppy

Suggestions in picking a breed?

Hi all, My name is Sarah.  I'm looking to adopt a dog from the pound and was interested in suggestions about what breed would be best for me.  I've grown up with dogs my whole life and the past four years of college without one has been hell.  I didn't think I had the time or room for a dog while going to school and working however, I recently graduated and am looking to adopt a pet.  The problem I'm having is that for the next year I will be making a driving tour of the United States.  I really would like to have a dog to take along with me that would enjoy the trip.  So there's the problem I need to find a dog that wouldnt mind long car trips but would still enjoy the outdoors and playing along the way.  I don't really like tiny dogs.  So are there any suggestions? or is it selfish and cruel of me to want to drag a dog along on a trip like that?
    Thank you
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think I'd look for a medium sized, slick/short haired mix- IF you're dead set on getting a dog. In a lot of ways, though, travelling with dogs is a pain. A lot of hotels don't take pets, even a fair number of campgrounds have quit taking them (which is ridiculous), it's one extra stop every few hours to walk the dog, and you'll miss a lot of really great attractions because of the inability to leave the dog in the car. (Yes, you can leave the dog in the car in the winter, and some of the spring and fall, but not at all safely in the summer in most of the country, and anywhee south of Missouri or so, I think you'd have trouble with mot of the spring and early fall too.)

I'd wait a year- map out shelters you can visit, walk through and get a dog fix while you're traveling, though. :) Maybe check into signing up with some of the Canine Rescue Railroad projects and doing some rescue transports on the way- I've met some great people that way and had lots of fun.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My dogs would think they have died and gone to heaven.  However, prepare for the trip.  Make sure you have dog friendly motels identified for emergencies (Days Inn is the one I typically use).  Plan for seatbelt or crate, I prefer crates for traveling for safety in case of an accident.

As to a dog, I wouldn't worry so much about the outside as I would the inside.  I would look for a dog whose eating and elimination seems "normal" (although the stress of a pound might have an impact on elimination).  A dog that is calm and contained but still outgoing and tail wagging is definately worth consideration.  Take the dog out of the kenneling area and move around with them on lead.  Decide how much behavior needs to be managed and what behaviors need to be taught related to manners and orientation to humans.  Ask about the dog's interaction with other dogs (you dont want a fence fighter), cats, and strangers who may have come into the shelter. 

It may be even better to work with a shelter or rescue program that has foster homes. Those individuals most frequently have greater information about the dogs in their care.

The final thing you need to address is times that dog may need to be a car while you are engaged in something.  How will you manage the weather conditions to keep the dog safe and comfortable.  Also identify vets you can get to if something should occur while on the road.  The internet should take care of that.  Make sure you pick a nationally available food that is typcially carried in large super pet supply stores so that you are not changing foods.  Might want to think about bottled water for the dog as well.  Stock a first aide kit that will work for both of you.
    • Bronze
    ORIGINAL: Pwca

I think I'd look for a medium sized, slick/short haired mix- IF you're dead set on getting a dog. In a lot of ways, though, travelling with dogs is a pain. A lot of hotels don't take pets, even a fair number of campgrounds have quit taking them (which is ridiculous), it's one extra stop every few hours to walk the dog, and you'll miss a lot of really great attractions because of the inability to leave the dog in the car. (Yes, you can leave the dog in the car in the winter, and some of the spring and fall, but not at all safely in the summer in most of the country, and anywhee south of Missouri or so, I think you'd have trouble with mot of the spring and early fall too.)

I'd wait a year- map out shelters you can visit, walk through and get a dog fix while you're traveling, though. :) Maybe check into signing up with some of the Canine Rescue Railroad projects and doing some rescue transports on the way- I've met some great people that way and had lots of fun.

I have a wire haired dachshund and we've never had any problems finding hotels and campgrounds that allow us to bring him. Most of the hotel chains will require the dog is under a certain size and weight so I'm not just recommending the topic starter look into getting a dachshund because I'm an owner but doxies are lovable dogs who bond well with multiple owners (mine even loves to play with cats). Some breeds, like German Shepherds and  Dobermans can usually have a tendency to bond with one member of the family, but I've had 4 doxies, a schnauzer and a German Sheperd in the past and I must say my loyalties are to the doxies !!!