Maltese or toy poodle

• Gold Top Dog

Maltese or toy poodle

I was woundering if anyone out there has a  maltese or toy poodle . and to let me know what kind 
    personality they have . we had Lucky since he was 6 weeks old  a Dalmatian for 
    14 1/2 yrs he went to rest this past  July 29 after 1 yr of hip problems. boy do we miss him ,like one of the kids  .so now we are debating weather to get one of the above. with hair ,not to much shedding ,lap pooch
     hope to here from you pet lovers
       lighthouse
    • Gold Top Dog
    A girlfriend of mine has a toy poodle named Midnight.  I keep him for her when she goes out of town.  He's an awesome little guy.  I mean, I absolutely love him and look forward to keeping him while she's away.  Very energetic, very smart, a cool personality.  He loves to sit on my lap and get love.  He leaps over my sofa when he gets excited like a little Superman and does silly things to make us laugh.  Great with my kids, he loves them. 
    • Bronze
    I have a toy black poodle she's a sweet heart
    very smart loves to play with her toys loves to lay in my lap
    or hubbys lap she's so funny she plays with her food throwing it
    up in the air and rolling on it .My vet and groomer just love her. Katy

• Gold Top Dog
    thank you for the info , the more the merrier
        lighthouse
    • Gold Top Dog
    Maltese were bred to be companion dogs, so its almost like they worship their owner.

Mine has been very easy to train. In addition to the normal obedience commands (sit, stay, come, down, off) he can do "bang", "spin", and go to a mark.
    • Silver

Hi~ Sophie is a maltipoo, so she is a cross between the 2 dogs you are considering.  She is the sweetest little girl.  She only weighs about 4.5 lbs., up from about 2 lbs. when I bought her at 8 weeks.  She loves to be cuddled, loves attention, has hair that does not shed, is very smart,  very funny, and everyone who visits loves her.

So my vote would be for a maltipoo.  

Good luck with whatever puppy you decide to get!

• Gold Top Dog

Well neither one will shed. Maltese have hair, not fur, so there's no shedding, but grooming is a biggy.  It also depends on exactly how big a dog your looking for.  You mentioned toy poodle, which would be really small, Maltese are only supposed to be 5-6 lbs., but a lot of breeders breed them with larger dogs so they have more puppies and make more money.  I have a Maltese who is 12 yrs. old and weighs a whopping 3 1/2 lbs.  Her mother was 5 lbs. and father about the same.  Her sister was also about 3-4 lbs., but her brother I was told was BIG, in comparison.  Little dogs aren't usually real good with "little" kids, they tend to nip.  I think they get scared, because lets face it, what kid, especially a small one can resist picking up a dog (just their size).  Once the kids get bigger, though, the problem usually goes away.  Just be careful in you picking if you truly are looking for that type of breed, not to get them too big.  Since they're supposed to be small.  Hope this helps!  Good Luck!

• Gold Top Dog

tkb1127

Hi~ Sophie is a maltipoo, so she is a cross between the 2 dogs you are considering.  She is the sweetest little girl.  She only weighs about 4.5 lbs., up from about 2 lbs. when I bought her at 8 weeks.  She loves to be cuddled, loves attention, has hair that does not shed, is very smart,  very funny, and everyone who visits loves her.

So my vote would be for a maltipoo.  

Good luck with whatever puppy you decide to get!

Hey, here ya go!  Two dogs in one, and she's purdy too!