doberman question

• Silver

doberman question

i have heard many times people say that doberman are dangerous at night because they dont smell you so they attack you............is it true?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Many people are CLUELESS.  Nope, not true in any way, shape or form.  A dog's sense of smell is not effected by how much light there is available. 
    • Silver
    thanks i sorta knew that it was not true but i kept hearing people say it and it got me thinking about it
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well, there are a lot of people on this forum with dobes, so I guess if they're still here it's not true. [:D] I really have to wonder how some of these crazy rumors get started in the first place.

Joyce
    • Gold Top Dog
    My father has had dobermans until a year ago when his most recent dog Kilo passed away.  He's always been partial to dobermans.  Growing up with them, the 2 that I remember, they were big balls of love.  The sweetest most loving dogs ever.  I never had a problem with being attacked in the dark.  As a matter of fact, I felt very safe and protected while in their presence.

I can tell you though, when I was 3, I was bit by one of his dobies in the face.  I still have the incisor tooth scar on my forehead.  According to my dad, I had been playing too close to Lefty's face.  And I believe it, knowing how I was as a child.  It still stands a warning though that if a dog feels threatened, that he may react.  And this is regardless of the breed.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i have heard many times people say that doberman are dangerous at night because they dont smell you so they attack you............is it true?

LOL. Their brains also swell and they go insane...LMAO. Poor dobies.
    • Gold Top Dog
    haha crazy I love it gotta love some of the myths that go around. I have a dobbie X and he is really an oversized lapdog as far as he is concerned and one of his many gfs is a full dobbie and she's just the same a big cuddle ball would be amazed if either of them even hurt a cat
    • Gold Top Dog
    Just wanted to say that Dobermans, at least the majority of them, are truly velcro dogs that don't want to be out of the sight of their people.  I have found them to be very intuitive and incredibly good at reading people.

There was a rescue Dobie being fostered by my friend and he was the wildest wild child ever, always galloping around and causing trouble.  Well one day they met a family with an autistic boy, around 12 or 13 years old, and Trent, the wild dobie, just went over to this child and stood there.  Not guarding, not pestering, not licking-just standing there.  Trent stayed there for 20 or 30 minutes perhaps and the boy ended up hugging him for the last 10 minutes or so.  It was one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen and demonstrated to me that dogs can connect with us in ways no one can truly understand.

That doesn't sound like a dog that will attack you in the dark, now does it?[:)]