Australian Kelpies

• Gold Top Dog

Australian Kelpies

I'll tell you what, as much as I think this breed makes an awful suburban pet, they are just as sweet as can be when they're happy. It occurred to me this morning, as I gave this kelpie I met on the street lots of rubs as she cuddled up to my legs, that I haven't seen them so much lately. Maybe they've gone out of fashion a bit as a result of the realisation that they require more exercise that most people could ever hope to offer them. One could hope. [:)] Anyway, they are super lovely. I think of kelpies as an exaggerated BC. They're everything a BC is, but then one step more. A wee bit smarter, more agile, quicker, more responsive, and friendlier, and of course, needing more exercise and work. They'd work 10 hour days if you gave them half a chance. This one I met this morning was walking with her dad and came sooking up to me, hoping I was a dog person. She was delighted to discover that I was, and loved up on me like I was a long lost sibling or something. But as much as she wanted to stay for cuddles, her dad was still walking and she had to run off to follow him. Totally reliable off leash even in a busy suburb next to a major road. It sure is nice to see a happy suburban kelpie.
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: corvus

I think of kelpies as an exaggerated BC. They're everything a BC is, but then one step more. A wee bit smarter, more agile, quicker, more responsive, and friendlier 

Really? [;)] Admittedly, I don't know any kelpies, but they seem to be very cool dogs. Your being from Australia, you obviously have more exposure to them, but I was wondering what you were basing this on? Have you owned either breed? I'm just curious, as Kelpies are a breed I would consider owning one day...
    • Gold Top Dog
    Working line kelpies which is about all you can find in the USA; these dogs  are not pets.   They are incredible dogs.  They have instinct and a learning curve for work that seems like vertical exceleration in the hands of a compentent trainer/livestock person.  They make the list of highest drive dogs.  I am personally acquainted with one who has been stomped by two cows and came up working.  He has the fastest smoothest outrun I have ever seen, I would bet you could strap a glass of water to his back and quench your thirst when he finished the lift and fetch.  He will run straight backwards for up to 50 feet without a second command.  Admire that dog no end, but I would never be smart enough, or offer enough work for him to be managable. (and I own malinois [:D])
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've never owned either BC or Kelpie. And I never will. I could never cope with that kind of intensity. I like my dogs to be laid back. I wouldn't want to get any more intense than a corgi.

However, I have known quite a lot of BCs and Kelpies. I've had friends that had one or the other throughout my life and both breeds are pretty common over here. You meet good ones and bad ones, although mostly the bad ones are just bored, frustrated ones.

I've been dubious of the so-called 'pet line' of Kelpies, having met some working lines working on a sheep station and not being able to imagine a happier, more content dog. However, I will reluctantly admit that there are Kelpies that aren't miserable as urban pets. Provided they get tons of exercise. And I've met a whole lot of kelpie crosses that make ace pets. My mother has one. Jill is crossed with a Boxer, and has lost the Kelpie focus somewhere along the line. She's a complete ditz, but it's thrilling to watch her catch frisbees.

Working line Kelpies are incredible dogs that fill me with awe, as well. I've never seen a more agile dog. They hop over 5ft fences without pausing to crouch and measure the distance. And of course, they're famous for running along the backs of the sheep. I don't think many Australians see true working Kelpies. Anyway, if you've got the time to keep them running for a few hours a day, they are great little dogs. They are just so smart and devoted, but they're workaholics and they're not happy if they haven't got something to do. Working Kelpies are chained or kennelled if there aren't enough sheep to work, because otherwise they go off and find some to work on their own, which usually results in dead sheep, either from exhaustion or being piled up in a corner where the bottom ones suffocate. It's hard to fathom just how desperately they need to work until you've seen them at it. Thankfully, pet lines are not quite that driven, but it's still a breed you really have to work with a lot to keep it happy. But they will apply themselves to anything you could imagine to teach them, so if that's what you're into, I think it's a really rewarding experience. I do like their cuddles, though. [:)]
    • Bronze
    [linkhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/LKullar/Fosters/DSC00324.jpg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/LKullar/Fosters/DSC00324.jpg[/link]

I fostered a very special kelpie girl for 13 months.  Her name is Lexi - I called her Lexi Loo Nut Dog.  I have attached a link to her picture which isn't the greatest but the look on Lexi's face is quick shot of her personality.  I have fostered roughly 28 dogs and Lexi is probably the smartest.  She is a little multi tasker and incredibly smart which was probably what got her into trouble.   Sometimes I think she outsmarted me and she knew it.  I didn't know what a kelpie was until I fostered Lexi as they are not common in part of the world.  But kelpies are now one of my favorite breeds.