shiba or jindo?

• Silver

shiba or jindo?

I got my dog from a shiba rescue organization, but the more I read about jindos, I'm beginning to think maybe that's what she is. She is 19" at the shoulders and about 34 lbs, which makes for a big shiba, especially for a female. She also definitely fits the behavioral description of a jindo (protective, territorial of our home, aggressive towards other dogs, bolts after any type of animal especially cats, very independent but loyal, aloof with others), but I realize there's overlap with the behavioral traits of a shiba. And her bark is much deeper and louder than any shiba bark I've heard; if you just heard her, you'd think she was a different, larger breed of dog. I've attached some pictures of her. I saw a pic of her once before we got her where she was sitting next to a rottie...and I was surprised that she wasn't much smaller than him. What do you all think? When I look at some pics of jindos, I think she has to be that...but then I look at some shiba pics and am convinced that's what she is! And is there any actual way to find out for sure, or are breeds determined by sight alone (as opposed to obtaining from a breeder and having papers)? Thank you!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Jindos are so rare, I'd say it's much more likely that she's either a shiba mixed with something or just a shiba that has poor conformation. If a breeder doesn't have a discriminating eye and isn't careful about breeding, within a few generations, you can get a dog that really doesn't look like a regular purebred.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have seen some almight BIG Shiba's LOL....BYB's and pet store...the breed just tends to get BIGGER the less careful you are about breeding. Like Beagles....I have sen some papered Beagles that are the size of Harriers! Your pup looks like a Shiba to me. [;)]

All the things you describe...would describe just about ANY asian spitz breed...including Shiba Inu [;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd say Shiba.  Where are you located?  Jindos are very rare but there are some in parts of the nation.  Around here....none.  My mom has one that was imported from Korea(only Korean-Americans can bring them out of Korea).  He was a rescue and was literally being chased with a machete for killing chickens.  A lady bought him and he came to America.  I was thinking about taking him, but two dogs was enough for me.  Plus, I have lots of small animals.  Here is a picture of Chase(not because he was being chased, but because his name was Chance and then my mom got a horse named Chance and since he had the name longer, she changed the dogs name to Chase).

• Silver
    Thanks for the responses! It makes sense that given jindos are relatively rare, my dog is probably just a big shiba. It's not an issue for me at all, just something I was wondering, especially after someone with a jindo stopped me and said my dog looked so much like his jindo. And your mom's jindo, ColleenC, is beautiful!
    • Silver
    Here in the united states alot of the japanese breeds have been bred to be a bit larger and longer in body just because they tend to be at least partially wanted for gaurd dogs and here we view large size as better gaurd dog.  You can especially see it in the akita which is under a large argument over splitting the american bred akitas from the japanese bred akitas.  They are split in japan.  We have rather different views on some things and it's reflected in the breeding of our animals.  That means even a purebred here in the US may look quite different from a purebred of japanese lines which are often shown as the standard on breed sites and in pictures.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think the jindo shouldn't be entirely discounted- they are rather rare in the US, however if you are in CA or somewhere else on the west coast, that's where the majority of them are.  Jindos are renowned escape artists (as is the shiba) so it's not entirely unlikely that it is a jindo.

However in looking at the head structure, the angle of the muzzle makes me think shiba.  If at first glance your dog appears like a fox, then he's probably shiba.  And I've seen some HUGE shibas- 20" or more.
    • Puppy
    We actually have a Jindo rescue here. It's rarely empty. At least one dog usually sits there waiting for a home.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Xerxes
    I think the jindo shouldn't be entirely discounted- they are rather rare in the US, however if you are in CA or somewhere else on the west coast, that's where the majority of them are. Jindos are renowned escape artists (as is the shiba) so it's not entirely unlikely that it is a jindo.

Yes! Here in Los Angeles there are LOTS of jindos. There are always lots of jindo mixes in the shelters.

PS ... snoangel ... she's gorgeous!