The "Not for Everyone" Breeds

• Gold Top Dog
    Pit bulls....but in my case not for the reasons people think. 

Kika is the most amazing dog.  She loves other dogs, people, and children. Amazingly behaved inside and outside, excellent in the car, never whines or barks, listens well, has no issues..... I couldn't ask for a better dog.

The hardest part about her is how society perceives her.  I've never experience the amount of insults, confrontation, and uncomfortable situations walking down the street as I have with walking my beautiful (45 pound) Kika down the street.  Oh...the tears I shed in the beginning because of all the scrutiny.  The shelter warns you, and you think you'll be ok with it, but when you face it almost everyday it gets tiring. 

Of course after a while you get use to it and realize she's well worth it.

So I would say that if you don't have a thick skin and care what other people think, a pit bull is not for you.
    • Puppy
    Ovtcharkas. Specifically Caucasian Mountain Dogs.

They are too powerful of a breed for even an expert sometimes. They take the most dedicated owners who have experienced with extremely dominant breeds. They are strong, and intelligent, and to top is off, beautiful giants. Their beauty and size attracts people, as well as their natural guardian instinct.

I know it probably inevitable, but I do not want to see these dogs become the next breed that blows up the news stations.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: houndlove

Inu is Japanese for "dog" so all the Japanese breeds have "Inu" in their names: Akita Inu, Shiba Inu, Tosa Inu, etc....

Wow, I always assumed it was always only "Akita"! I learned something new today. [:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    It seems to me that any dog/breed could fit under the catagory of "Not for Everyone". Each and every dog has their own challenges whether it be breed related or specific to the individual dog. I agree that certain 'difficult' breeds (already mentioned) should be avoided by novice owners but that's not to say that a novice dog owner can't have sucess with these breeds. I am a case in point as someone who chose the Australian Shepherd as my first dog. The thing is you have to do your research, know the challenges and be fully committed to put in the time and energy required. There are many people for who even the best bred, mellow, easily trained, well tempered breed is not the right dog for them. I think the more appropriate topic is The "Not for Any Dog" People!
    • Gold Top Dog
    [sm=bravo.gif][sm=wink2.gif]
    ORIGINAL: denise m

It seems to me that any dog/breed could fit under the catagory of "Not for Everyone". Each and every dog has their own challenges whether it be breed related or specific to the individual dog. I agree that certain 'difficult' breeds (already mentioned) should be avoided by novice owners but that's not to say that a novice dog owner can't have sucess with these breeds. I am a case in point as someone who chose the Australian Shepherd as my first dog. The thing is you have to do your research, know the challenges and be fully committed to put in the time and energy required. There are many people for who even the best bred, mellow, easily trained, well tempered breed is not the right dog for them. I think the more appropriate topic is The "Not for Any Dog" People!

Good point and great post![sm=bravo.gif]

• Gold Top Dog
    Maybe a better subject line would be, "Why my breed isn't for everyone."

Which begs the question, "Is any breed for everyone?" And the answer is yes, the random bred shelter mutt has something for everyone, assuming a certain level of commitment to begin with. In other words, anyone who should have a dog to begin with, will find something they are looking for in random bred mutts, with some patience and an open mind.
    • Gold Top Dog
    In other words, anyone who should have a dog to begin with, will find something they are looking for in random bred mutts, with some patience and an open mind.

Thank you.