finding out what you mix breed is

• Puppy

finding out what you mix breed is

Hi,  I am new to this forum but couldn't resist when I read how many people are wondering what their mix breed dog is.  I don't know if it is listed somewhere else, but did you guys know that there is a company that can tell you what your dogs primary breeds are, you send them a sample using a kit they send you.  I heard about it on a German Shepherd forum I belong to, it must be fairly accurate as another member tried it and her results did come back showing her dog was full GSD.  Which was what she was wondering, if her dog was pure or a mix.  Any way it I am tempted to try it out and here is the link if anyone else is as well.
    http://www.metamorphixinc.com/products2a.html

• Gold Top Dog
    I know a couple of people that have tried it with mixed breed dogs and it came back with some very strange results.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Stacita, i'm curious what was on the results lol
    i have had several dogs that one could only guess at the breed.... i would have loved to have found out for sure lol
    • Gold Top Dog
    Both of the people I'm referring to had dogs that they thought were at least part Malinois. One may be Mali/Lab or GSD/Lab and the other is most likely Mali/GSD. The test doesn't list Malinois as a breed but does list Turveren (sp?) which are just long haired versions. Both dogs came back with no primary breed at all but one was said to have Shih Tzu & St. Bernard and the other some Bernese or Greater Swiss.

Very odd results indeed.

ETA: If those had come out with anything possibly close, DH would have sent Wolfgang's in. I'm too cheap but he'd love to know for sure.
    • Bronze
    I wish I wasn't so cheap --this sounds interesting.  Although it does make me nervous that they ask for a picture too--could it be a bunch of dog lovers sitting around taking guesses based upon the picture?