Allergic To Dogs

• Gold Top Dog

Allergic To Dogs

Hope I'm in the right forum!  My sister-in-law desperately wants a dog, but she's very allergic to them.  Somebody told her, and I sorta remember this, that it's not the dog hair that's the problem, it's the dander.  Okay, but somebody else told her, I think it was a groomer, that there are three dog breeds (one of which, supposedly, is a poodle) that have no dander.  Not sure I buy that, but I told her I would ask the question:

What are the best breeds for people allergic to dogs?

Thanks in advance.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Honestly I don't know for sure about allergies and dogs, but I'm bumping this up for you because I know there are people on here that DO know.  [:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    There's no such thing as a truly hypoallergenic dog, but there are breeds that are usually better for people with allergies. All of the ones that I know of do need professional grooming.

Poodles (Standard, Mini, and Toy sizes)
    Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
    Schnauzers (Giant, Standard, and Mini sizes)
    Bichon Frise
    Shih Tzu
    Maltese
    Yorkie
    Chinese Crested
    Kerry Blue Terrier

There are also products like Allerpet, which I think would help greatly with any dog.

http://www.allerpet.com/products/product1.htm
    • Gold Top Dog
    American Eskimo Dogs (my baby on the left) are also supposed to be good for those with allergies.  They have a similar coat to the Bichon, but fluffy/long and mostly straight.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Portugese Water dogs are also a good choice for folks with dog allergies.

Pharaoh hounds, produce almost no dander, however, they are not a dog for the majority of people.
    • Bronze
    Allergens are a tough thing to combat.  From what I've studied in college, she needs to find out how sever her allergies are first. That will help in determeining if a dog will even be an option.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think that Poodles and Portugese Water Dogs are both good choices. But there are still individuals that can tolerate no dogs at all.

In addition to the other tips posted, I'd first go visit a breeder and ask to spend time around their dogs. If here allergies remain under control, I'd offer to dogsit for someone with that breed or do a short term foster, before making a longer commitment.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Just to add to what Stacita said.  Sometimes it is the individual dog and not the breed in particular.  For example one poodle you may be fine around, however another you may not.  I think fostering beforehand would be a good idea.
    • Gold Top Dog
    How about a bedlington terrier?there was a time when I was very interested in this breed of dog I actually talked to a reputable breeder and she said they are actually better than poodles.But not many people know about them because they are a unique and rare breed.
    here is what she said:  "They shed little if at all. I've never been able to find a single bedlington hair on my clothes unless I cut it off when I'm grooming. They are actually more hypo-allergenic than poodles, but are not as commonly recommended because of their rarity. I usually show in dark suits and I never have to worry about getting hair on my clothes before ring time."They are an active breed of dog though.They are terriers so they need challenges physical and mental.If she is not willing to devote time to a dog she shouldn't get one.Also she may have to wait  ahwile to get one because they are rare and breeders want the best home possoble for them.They are friendly with people dogs ,kids if raised properly.Though because they have that sighthound instinct in them they are not safe with small animals.