What do you think she is?

• Gold Top Dog

What do you think she is?

We adopted a dachshund mix from the local animal shelter a few months back and are kind of curious to see what you guys think she might be. The shelter told us doxie/shepherd, but we find this to be rather unlikely. We've also heard theories about her being mixed with anything from a beagle (which seems to be most often guessed), corgi, and even rottie. lol. So what do you guys think? Here's a link to a few pics of her:

[linkhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v137/summer_mommy/pup/]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v137/summer_mommy/pup/[/link]

Also, just in case it's relevant... she is currently 39 pounds, 13 inches at the shoulder, and about 25 inches long from neck to the base of her tail.
    • Gold Top Dog
    39lbs is pretty large, even my biggest Beagles haven't been much over 28lbs...but I'd buy Beagle/Basset and Dachs mix. Beagle/Basset's tend to have some white and more "hangdog' in the face....I see a Dachs in that face and the set of her eyes. The size would come from the Basset or even a larger Beagle (plenty do get into the 40lbs range as far as pet's)

So I'll say one parent was a "Bagle" (Beagle x Basset) and the other a Dachs. [;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks for your input! The vet thought basset mix and said there was no way there was any doxie in her. I think he's going senile because even I can see the doxie and I've never had a dog before. lol. He also said she's overweight and should be closer to 30 pounds. Now whether that's true or not... couldn't really say. But it's intriguing to think that there might be basset in there anyway. Thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog
    She just looks like a big doxie to me, so I'd say you'd be crazy to think there's no doxie in the mix! The coloring is classing doxie, the legs have to come from a breed that has dwarfism as a trait (doxie or basset), the face is very doxie.
    • Gold Top Dog
    lol. I definitely know there's doxie in the mix. We're just frustrated because we have no freaking clue with what. That's okay though. She's absolutely wonderful no matter what she is :)
    • Gold Top Dog
    She could really be any number of hound mixes. A lot of people think that Red Bull commercial is funny but unfortunately that's not an unheard of situation (unassisted by energy drinks).

And then again, there's so much stupid deliberate mixing that Bagle/doxie is not as unlikely as I would have insisted a few years ago. [:(]

But, you got a really cute dog in the bargain and saved a life too! You go!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Definately no Shepherd in her. I'd go with what the other people said.

As far as the Shepherd/Doxi being unlikely, actually it's not. There was an artical I found somewhere about a Doxi(or a Min Pin) can't remember exactly which one, got the female Rott in the family pregnant. A male Doxi could mate with a female Shepherd, though it would be hard, but is plausible. A male Shepherd and female Doxi though is not at all possible.

The shelter I got Rio from had some Doxie, Husky, Rott crosses. One parent was a Doxi/Rott cross.

Shiva
    • Gold Top Dog
    My guess would be a large standard size purebred doxie.  She's adorable!
    • Gold Top Dog
    My nieghbors have a Dox/Spaniel mix that looks almost identical to your dog.  He's about thirty pounds too.  It is sooo weird--I see NO spaniel in him. He's even black and tan like your girl!