blue merle poodles

• Gold Top Dog

blue merle poodles

[linkhttp://www.blue-merle-poodle.com/]http://www.blue-merle-poodle.com/[/link]

What will they think-up next?  Yeah, I know they are kind of pretty/unique, but come on, $1500?  I thought that was a bit silly for a funky-looking poodle.[8D] 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Gotta say that they are kinda cute...and I don't even like poodles in general!  LOL!  But I am a sucker for merles...  I definitely wouldn't be paying $1500 for one, but if they were in a shelter, and a standard one, I might consider. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I find it interesting that folks will use rarity in color to hype a dog and increase price... It is not the AKC that determines what colors are acceptable and what colors are faulted.  It is the breed club that writes and modifies a standard.  The AKC merely holds that standard as approved by the breed club as the measurement standard for conformation shows.  Rare colors are often discouraged due to the other traits that are attached to them.  By definition when breeding rare colors you are combining genes in ways that may result in problems regardless of how "careful" your breeding program and record keeping.

The garbage some people spew to make a buck is amazing.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't merle in most breeds that have that gene a fairly dangerous/risky thing to breed for due to the genetic "side effects"?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have heard that breeding a merle to a merle is a bad thing, but I don't know if its true or not... 
    • Gold Top Dog
    That is true. Merle to merle breedings can result in lethal whites - dogs that lack pigmentation around their eyes/ears and are deaf and blind.
    • Gold Top Dog
    On the website, the breeder says that these dogs are carefully bred to prevent congenital abnormalities that can be caused by interbreeding. 

They are pretty.  I don't know if they are $1500 pretty, though.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Round here a nice well bred Standard Poodle from a good breeder on limited reg is about $1200-1300....I have checked as I was considering a Standard at one time. Given the amount of genetic testing these breeders do....the cost of showing and grooming etc, understandable...but too much for me right now.

This color does nothing for me. I think the flashy Parti's and solid's are much more attractive...these look like someone spray painted them, lol.