Dutch Malinois?

• Gold Top Dog

Dutch Malinois?

I was at a show this weekend and watched a bite work demo by the dog sports ring.  The person putting on the demo introduced a "Dutch Malinois".  At first I thought he mis-spoke, but then he said they are creating this breed.  Does anyone know anything about them?  This was their "Dutch Malinois":

This was his 8 month old Belgian Malinois

And his puppy (Dutch Shepherd?)

• Gold Top Dog
    the "Dutch Malinois" could be a Dutch x Malinois cross.  Sometimes those performance people are more concerned with, well performance, than breed.
    • Gold Top Dog
    He rattled off a bunch of breeds they used, but I forget.  It was something like Belgian Malinois, Danes, Mastiffs, and probably other Shepherds and then they cross in Belgian Malinois every once in a while.  The "Dutch Malinois" did look more substantial than the Belgian Mal, so I can sort of see the Great Dane.  I wonder what aspects of the protection work breeds they are trying to improve on?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've been to a Schutzhund competition where a Laekenois (a type of Belgian shepherd) mix competed.  I never did ask what he was mixed with, though...  I know a lot of people that seriously compete do cross breeds to get the desired performance, so a Dutch Malinois could likely be a cross they've done to get better performance...  The "Dutch Malinois" looks like it has a shorter coat than the Belgian malinois, but other than that it doesn't look a whole lot different... 

I just looked up a little about them and found this post on a different discussion...

"Your friend is clearly an extremely uninformed individual. Pure-bred Belgian Malinois are not mixed breeds. However most of the so called "Dutch Malinois" are mixed breeds and many of the working dogs just referred to as "Malinois" are also mixed breeds. These are dogs specifically bred for KNVP protection work. These KNVP dogs of mixed background will have pedigrees but they are not registered or registerable by any kennel club because they are mixed breeds. On the KNVP papers (these are working certificates not registration papers) it is clearly indicated that these dogs are crosses."

• Gold Top Dog
    The working dog folk will do out crosses with different breeds when they feel it will offer something.  There is no dutch malinois "breed".  There are however, dutch shepherd X malinois..etc.  The great dane was introduced to breeding programs in the past to get a larger bite ratio.  The first generation crosses lost a lot of desirable characteristics, primarily speed and agility.  That particular outcross was not repeated but the changes in head type are one indication that other breeds are in the pedigree.