Cocker Spaniel people - talk to me!

• Gold Top Dog

Cocker Spaniel people - talk to me!

I'm picking up my first ever cocker spaniel foster today.  I've always had rotties.  I've owned other breeds of dogs, but never ever a cocker. 

This is a 3 year old male.  He's been left in a backyard for over a year.  Never housebroken and hasn't been groomed in +1 year.   There were originally 2 of them, but the people that have been keeping them found a home for one, so I'll only have one now.

First I'll bathe him and clip him nekked.  It's hot and humid here lately, so I think he'll be more comfy that way.  I love their coats and it'll grow back and as it does I'll just get him groomed.  But for summer and since we'll be doing tons of training (housebreaking, house manners, etc) I think we're better off without a coat to deal with too.

Once done, does anyone have any advice for me with him about anything?  Any breed specific genetic problems I should have the vet check for right off the bat?  They have (it looks like) pretty thick heavy ears, so are they prone to the ear infections and such that dogs like bassetts have?  How about eyes?  Entropion or ectropion or anything? 

Any suggestions on training?  My rotties were always kennel trained for housebreaking.  Is this the best way for cockers?  Any advice for living with other pets?  We have 7 dogs, from chihuahua to rottie and 7 cats and 3 birds.  Are they prone to chasing cats or anything? 

They say they 'think' he's neutered.  [8|]  Not sure how you can't be sure with a male, but whatever.  I'll have the vet check that and if he's not, we'll get him done ASAP.  They also say he's due for his shots and has been on H-worm preventative, but I've taken in other rescues that were supposedly UTD on shots and preventative and turned out to have all kinds of probs including the dreaded HW.  So, we'll def check all that well.

My eldest daughter has always wanted a cocker and she's currently working in NC with my parents.  I'm worried that if I don't get this boy trained and placed before she gets here I may have 1 more dog and 1 less husband!!  [&:]
    • Gold Top Dog
    My in-laws have a cocker and he has chronic yeast infections in his ears.  I believe this is a common health problem with the breed, since they have floppy ears.  I've heard that feeding a tablespoon of plain yogurt once a day can help, and if the dog does get an infection, get the right meds and try to keep the ears clean.  Don't squirt liquid in the ears, just dampen a cotton ball and swab the ears. 

Their cocker really enjoys tug games and kicking soccer balls around the yard and attacking them.  He doesn't retrieve much though.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Like i said! Ship him up to NY!!!
    Anyway,they are very prone to ear issues,the inside if the ears must be kept shaved to allow air to flow and clean regularly,some need it DAILY! Its also very important to keep them dry.
    Some are notoriously hard to housebreak.Mine is now 1/1/2 and has been crate training since he was 9 weeks old and is still not totally reliable.
    Raised with cats and still wont leave them alone! Hes is obsessed with them! He just wants to play though.
    Loves balls,especially ones that make noise.
    Mine loves everyone and is a total love bug.Most others i have met are not.I hope this guy is for your sake.I have met several that will bite and even one who will attack children who get within 6 feet of it.
    Oh almost forgot! Make sure the vet checks his anal glands.Mine doesnt have issues with is but if this guy was fed a poor diet he may have.Cant wait to see pictures!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Ok, here they are!  Long awaited pictures.  The first is when I brought him home, the second is mid-clipping, the third is after he's been all clipped and bathed. 

His story by the way.  He was left in a backyard for 3 years on a line with his brother, from the time they were 6 weeks old.  He's not been groomed in at least a year, maybe more.  His ears were nothing but a solid mass of matts.  He had chest, stomach and leg hair all matted together so badly that there was a tear in his chest from the hair pulling.  It's little, but still must have been so painful for so long.

His ears have the worst yeast infection I've ever seen.  I cleaned them out with ear cleaner last night.  I have an appointment this after noon to have my oldest rottie PTS (long story - very old, hips so bad he can't stand now) so I'll see if I can bring Simon in too for his vaccinations and have his ears done.

He's not neutered, big shock.  [8|]  I'll have to get that done on the next surgery day.  He's got an appointment next Wednesday with a real groomer.  As you can see, that's now how I make a living.  [;)]  I got the matts off and shaved him as close as I could for comforts sake.  I'll have her clean it up so he doesn't look quite so bad!

So, here he is!!

Before:

During:

After:

I'll have to take him out today and get a good picture of him in the sun.  We started the grooming at about 5PM and didnt' get done until after 9PM.  The lighting in the house isn't all that good and you can't see how nice his coat is.  It's actually very shiny and super soft!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Wow! He looks terrible in the first pic! You did such a nice job! You can see how  thankful he is in his eyes.Bless you for caring for him.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks!  He's a total doll.  He's awesome with people - just loves attention.  Will do anything to please.  Scared to death of our dogs though.  Well, at first he was.  I took him out and exercised him really well and then brought him back in when he was totally worn out.  He still wasn't too happy.  Our dogs love to play and meet new dogs - just totally outgoing.  Poor Simon isn't used to other dogs I guess.  I'm sure he was never socialized with any.  So seeing all 7 of mine running over to say hi was a bit much for him.  He did settle down later on though and he seems better now.  He's wandering around checking things out and has been fine with the dogs.  Still a bit leary of those huge black and tan monsters!!  But good other than that.

I'm half tempted to keep him myself!!  [;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    OH - Did I mention his nails?  I don't think they've ever been clipped.  Ever.  They are so long they're curling.  I think when I have him neutered and he's under, I'll have them clipped way way back.  They can styptick (sp?) them and he'll be on pain meds for the surgery anyway.  I'm afraid otherwise he's gonna get one snagged on something and rip it.  Poor fella.  He's really had quite the life of neglect.
    • Gold Top Dog
    That's great that you took him in and are getting him all fixed up! In the first pic he looks awful. His ears really were one big giant mat. I'll never understand how people can let them get so bad. [:(]

Anyway, I'm just glad that this story has a happy ending!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I forgot to mention,i am very sorry to hear about your Rottie.You will be in my thoughts.
    • Silver
    Gosh- What a transformation! We had a cocker for 3 years and could not housebreak- we did not have a fenced in yard so after 3 years of trying to housebreak, we found another home for her- one with a yard and a stay at home mom which made things much easier.  I heard cockers are known for leaky pee problems- she peed everytime she got even a little excited.  Hopefully, you will not have this problem.  We were contemplating surgury for the problem too because she was such a good dog in all other aspects.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Cockers are great. I have one male, 2 years old, Monty. I was surprised how fast they put on weight. In December Monty weighed 25 pounds. Our vet felt that was too heavy so we increased his exercise and decreased food a little and he just had his wellness exam last Saturday and he weighs 22 pounds. Vet says this is ideal. Cockers are prone to obesity. I brush Monty's teeth everday. Again, vet said Monty's teeth are great but that cockers are prone to having bad teeth at a very young age. I did not know that.

Grooming needs to be done regularly. I take Monty every 6 weeks. The groomer plucks the hair out of his ear to prevent infections, keeps the hair around his face and paws short too.

Monty is on an allergy formula food (Natural Balance fish and sweet potatoe). Only food that works for him. He has dry skin which many cockers do and this food keeps his skin and coat looking great. Also, easier on his stomach.

Despite the issues, nothing beats a wiggle butt greeting you when you get home. Any other questions/issues please post. I may be able to help and I always learn something new from people here.
    • Gold Top Dog
    So far his only pee problems are marking his territory issues.  That's to be expected.  He spent 3 years peeing on everything in his 'house'.  It'll take some time but I'll get him broke of it.  He may always have to be watched, but with a diligent owner I think he's gonna be fine.  He is sooooo sweet.  If I didn't think hubby'd divorce me I'd keep the little guy!!

nyiceprincess - thank you.  Baron was wonderful.  A true ambasador for his breed.  He changed many peoples minds about what a true rottie is like.  He'll be greatly missed around here.  He has many new friends waiting to greet him on the other side though and will be able to run and play and never be in pain again.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Oh my gosh. That is one splendid dog. Don't let my mom see him, she's got a thing for cockers.

His coat is probably nice and glossy from having been protected by those nice solid matts. [:(] The good news is he seems not to be prone to skin issues. Survival of the fittest in full force. Again[:(]

I've heard people have had excellent luck with grain free diets, at controlling the yeast infections in pendulous eared breeds.

With housebreaking, it's just a matter of keeping him on a fair schedule that takes into account the fact that he's used to just going whenever he wants. However, you've got something working in your favor - the fact that he's used to peeing on outdoor surfaces. This is very likely to give him a head start on housebreaking rather than the reverse. That's what I find with most of my dogs that transition from backyard dogs to inside dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've heard people have had excellent luck with grain free diets, at controlling the yeast infections in pendulous eared breeds.

Shadow is on Innova EVO.It helps keep the yeast at bay a little.He also has not had any problems with putting on weight.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks for all the info guys.  I'll print this thread as a reference and bring it to the vet with me Saturday.  I can't wait to get him neutered.  Hate it when people don't get that done.  I've yet to have a rescue come to my home that was done.  Grr!! 

His poor ears.  I wish I could get him in sooner.  Was going to take him this AM when I had Bear PTS, but didn't think it would be fair.  Got there and they were packed anyway, so I doubt they could have.  Still feel kind of guilty.  But if I'd taken him I probably would have felt guilty that my entire time wasn't spent with Bear as he went down.  Sheesh!  Darn Catholic guilt I guess.  Must be rubbing off from hubby.  [&:]