Boxers!!

• Gold Top Dog

Boxers!!

Hey!

I'm getting a boxer pup in about 6 weeks (so excited!!!!) anyone have any tips or advice on this breed. We have never had a purebred (besides a German Shepherd when I was a kid) we usually get pound puppies.

Anyway, I'm so excited!!!

Just need to come up with a name... **Edit** She now has a name, it's Sasha [:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Hi!!! I have two Boxers and I am a big fan of this breed! They are such goofy clowns that always make me smile...every Boxer is different! I have a white boxer, 5 years old, named Georgia, and a white Boxer, 10 years old, named Alaska. The white one in my avatar is a Boxer named Alaska, he is 10 years old now but still acting like a puppy! One thing to remember is THEY NEVER GROW UP!!!! I love the breed to death. Train them well, they get really strong!! And a prong collar might come in handy every once and a while with the more stubborn breeds. If you train them really well they can go on walks without a leash. I taught Georgia to get out of someones yard when I say "out of the yard". She can learn things in a min. of 2 minutes and a max. of 5 minutes. I taught her to find things around the house and sit when she found them, kind of like search and rescue in 5-10 minutes. They are very smart dogs but can be VERY VERY stubborn!!! Georgia, when I do showmanship with her (practicing for Evergreen Fair...woot woot!!!), well when I do showmanship with her she is very stubborn and even though she knows what I want her to do, she often refuses. Besides that, she is the best!!!! Others are smarter than another...like I said, every single one is different! Alaska is stubborn and doesnt learn as quick as Georgia. I have a friend with a gorgeous fawn named Diesel, I showed him in AKC and his show name is High Octane Diesel Douglas. He is very smart and learned showmanship quickly and was GREAT no matter how little I practiced with home. Post pictures when you get your little one? Where are you getting yours? What is the breeders website? Male or female? What age? Are you going to neauter/spay him or her or breed her? Are you going to show her? Are you going to crop her ears? What are you planning on training her? Sorry...so many questions[;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    We are getting her from family friends, who don't have a website. They only go through word of mouth they are in Kentucky.  We aren't going to crop her ears, we like them floppy, she will be spayed and will be a family pet. Her name is Sasha. We will be training her, not sure what method (NILF or we might try "clicker" training her, lots of research to do still on that front)Here is a picture of her, I cannot wait until she's home!!

ORIGINAL: neapolitanpitbull

Hi!!! I have two Boxers and I am a big fan of this breed! They are such goofy clowns that always make me smile...every Boxer is different! I have a white boxer, 5 years old, named Georgia, and a white Boxer, 10 years old, named Alaska. The white one in my avatar is a Boxer named Alaska, he is 10 years old now but still acting like a puppy! One thing to remember is THEY NEVER GROW UP!!!! I love the breed to death. Train them well, they get really strong!! And a prong collar might come in handy every once and a while with the more stubborn breeds. If you train them really well they can go on walks without a leash. I taught Georgia to get out of someones yard when I say "out of the yard". She can learn things in a min. of 2 minutes and a max. of 5 minutes. I taught her to find things around the house and sit when she found them, kind of like search and rescue in 5-10 minutes. They are very smart dogs but can be VERY VERY stubborn!!! Georgia, when I do showmanship with her (practicing for Evergreen Fair...woot woot!!!), well when I do showmanship with her she is very stubborn and even though she knows what I want her to do, she often refuses. Besides that, she is the best!!!! Others are smarter than another...like I said, every single one is different! Alaska is stubborn and doesnt learn as quick as Georgia. I have a friend with a gorgeous fawn named Diesel, I showed him in AKC and his show name is High Octane Diesel Douglas. He is very smart and learned showmanship quickly and was GREAT no matter how little I practiced with home. Post pictures when you get your little one? Where are you getting yours? What is the breeders website? Male or female? What age? Are you going to neauter/spay him or her or breed her? Are you going to show her? Are you going to crop her ears? What are you planning on training her? Sorry...so many questions[;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Hello... congrats i'm super jealous of you... my apartment is just to small for a boxer. However my Uncle who I lived with for a year had one Heidi... is about 3.. she is the biggest goof ball and loves to chase laser pointers. However she can be very very stubborn... absolutely nothing will keep her off the couch( but my uncle is the only one that bugged). She would tear up everything if not in a crate cause she got bored. When I started researching them I found out that 80% of white boxers are deaf, which I thought was very different. Congrats.. and like they said above just stick to training no matter how frustrating :D
    • Gold Top Dog
    We have been reading up on the breed like crazy, as it helps to pass the time!

We plan on training her and just cannot wait to get her.
    • Puppy
    Boxers RULE!!! Our issabella is a big (Well not that big for a boxer) sweetheart. Our little dog Bammer 11lbs dominates her, and she loves him.
    Some tips...they are smart so watch out, once they learn something they will do it over and over.
    They are supper sweet and our girl is super sensitive.
    Potty training has been difficult, but not sure if that is the breed.
    Boxer tend to have sensitive stomachs. so If your has excessive scratching, vomitting or diarria it is probably a food allergy. Fix it with either the RAW diet or a grain free diet. We have to feed our girl a grain free diet. Poor girl couldn't keep anything sold for 5 mo. She is all better now.

AND be ready to give a lot of hugs!

• Gold Top Dog
    Aww, your pup and Isabella are adorable!!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yea, we no longer have a name for her, my boyfriend thinks "Sasha" isn't a "boxer name" she needs a tough name he says.

Open to suggestions!
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: MaggieandSkylar

Yea, we no longer have a name for her, my boyfriend thinks "Sasha" isn't a "boxer name" she needs a tough name he says.

Open to suggestions!

Destiny, Brandy, Mufassa...sorry, not too good with names...