choosing a breed for our family

• Gold Top Dog
    I would probably get a Belgian Tervuren or Belgian Groenendael (also called a Belgian Sheepdog) Definitely NOT a malinois, if you have younger kids. They take up more time than the kids, and can be infuriating if you don't know what you're doing. If not properly socialized or trained, they become like ****some*** pits and become a threat to society.

Tervs have long, black and tan coats, and groens have long black coats. Here is what my malinois looks like. They're basically a more high-strung terv with a short coat. Also, they are fluffy long coated, like a collie. Knox is the light one, and Sirius is the darker one.

[linkhttp://www.abtc.org/]American Belgian Tervuren Club[/link]

[linkhttp://www.tervs.com/chimeric/terv.info.htm]Good Info on the Chimeric Belgian website[/link]

If you actually consider a terv, you might like Captiva. She's fantastic for a companion home.

http://www.tervs.com/chimeric/Captiva.htm

• Gold Top Dog
    Sometimes at the shelter you can find dogs that aren't adults, but just past the "new puppy" stage.

Yup at our shelter we always have puppies!  Some are very young, and most get adopted before they are ready to leave the shelter.  I've seen purebred St. Bernard, Sharpei, Beagle, Wheaton, etc.  We also get a lot of pit, lab, boxer, husky, and GSD mixes. 

Shelters also get purebred young adults as well.  Just in the past two months, we've had an Akita (most gorgeous dog I've ever seen), great dane, a few GSDs, beagles, Norwegian Elkhound, Boston terriers, a black cocker, GSP, Dobe, boxers, and of course many many labs, pits, and mutts.

If you settle on a particular breed, you don't have to rule out a young or baby shelter dog.  Check on PetFinder!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Tervs are such good looking dogs, but have quite a bit of energy. My dog trainer has one and has said before that she has to really watch him around small children & elderly because he has so much energy. A Terv might not be a great idea for a household w/ such young children. JMO.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd like to add that, from what I've learned about Tervs (several people at my club own, breed, and show them, and a few others have Malinois), they are more reactive than, say, a GSD.

If a GSD has his ears pulled and he's being jumped on, he's most likely to get annoyed, get up, and walk away.  The Terv people tell me that their breed is more likely to nip first, ask later, and then the dog will suffer the consequences for defending itself the only way it knows how.

In my interactions with Flynn and Egan (The tervs I know best), while very stable for their breed, they are certainly more "flighty" than my GSD.  If something goes CRASH BOOM! their ears go up, and they're on alert rather quickly, looking for an "assailant" or something of the like.  My GSDs may flick an ear and look towards the direction of the sound, but that's pretty much it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Just about any medium sized dog or bigger is going to deter an intruder so don't make your decision soley on that. My husky loves everyone and would roll over for a belly rub if someone came into my home  uninvited but she looks threatening to those that don't know her so that's security enough. Not that I'm recommending a husky, especially for a first time owner, I'm just saying to not rule out very friendly type dogs because they aren't bread for guarding.

For first time owners, I would stay away from terriers in general. They can be very head strong and challenging if you don't know what to expect.

If you can handle the drool and xtra large breed - newfies would be a good choice.
    • Puppy
    I agree with Jewlieee... If you are looking for a GENTLE GIANT... The newfoundlands are great dogs, lots of hair but excellent with children!!
    • Bronze
    ORIGINAL: Liesje

I've read many times that boxers are GREAT family dogs, especially with toddlers, and just their looks alone provide an element of protection/intimidation.
    Yep, yep and yep.

I've had/been around boxers my whole life, and not once have I ever been worried about one hurting me. My mom's boxers had to endure us putting my sister's undies on them and my own kids crawling all over them. In fact, they were almost always visibly agitated when a baby would cry and make a pretty good baby monitor.

Their energy level is perfect for active families, but if you're the Klumps then I'd stay away. They don't really get into all the fetch-type stuff; they just like to be silly. Boxers, IME, also have a strong prey instinct, so having your yard fenced is a must. He'll rip a tie-out right up out of the ground if he sees a rabbit.

As far as their looks go, they're right up there with the Rott, Doberman and Pitt, but they don't have the bad dog image.

Of course, I can't recommend another dog higher, and most Boxer owners can't either, but know this: they are powerful dogs (especially the males), they're active, and if you aren't fit, they'll own you. But they're big babies, too.
    • Gold Top Dog
    the safest dog for kids is a golden retriever. they are great dogs. but german shepherds are amazing with kids, loyal, gentle, protective... all the things you need.
    • Bronze

Just saw your post on researching a breed for a new additon to you family.  I am so partial to Leonbergers.  But there are some things to know and I can't stress the importance of getting involved with your local club and check on breeders before you would bring a Leo home.  Let me tell you my story. 

I wanted a big dog after my little rescue sheltie cross passed.  I had researched the Leonberger and it seemed they were the best of the big dog world.  Newfie temperment without the drool.  I also wanted something that didn't take a lot of exercise, healthy and would be a good therapy dog.  So, of course I picked a Leo.  They just want to so be part of the family.  Anyway, my oldest boy, Chewie just turned 5 this summer.  He is my soul-dog, but has also had severe health issues since the beginning.  He was diagnosed with a Breed issue called Leonberger inherited polyneuropathy.  It is basically like MS in people.  He is loosing the use of his hind legs.  He also has allergies and just started having seizures the beginning of this year.  I wouldn't trade him for the world though and even if I knew I would have all these issues before I brought him home....I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Anyway, a year later I ended up with a full brother to Chewie....unfortunately, I lost him just after his 3rd birthday last year to bone cancer.  The boys were diagnosed a day apart just before christmas of 2005.  I knew it was important to get another friend for Chewie after I lost Yoda...so the search was on.  I also decided not to adopt a rescue dog...only for the fact, it was to stressful to take Chewie out to meet a new dog...although I knew he would love whoever I brought home, but also not knowing the history with health in temperment.  I would have to protect Chewie if anyone was agressive with him because he wouldn't have a clue what to do, plus he is big, but continues to get weaker in the rear so the stability just isn't there.  I didn't want something that had to much energy and would be to rough with him.  Well, I ended up with another Leo puppy in Nov of last year.  Koda is just such a joy and quite the goofball.  He has learned from day one, not to be to rough with Chewie.  He is still intact due to the link between bone cancer and having large breed male dogs fixed prior to 18 months. We have had no marking or intact male dog issues to this point.  All of my boys have been just wonderful....Just know that there is always a huge financial burden possibilty with any dog...especially a large breed dog like a Leo. 

If you ever seriously consider a leo as a family member...they should be just that.  Please feel free to let me know and I would love to give you more information.  I have and am currently several Leo chat groups...it is a nice way to lend support for some of the health issues as well as keep up on health issues of the breed and what is being done to help them.