Is my sheltie purebred.?

• Bronze

Is my sheltie purebred.?

image.jpg

So, I bought a Shellie and she is said to be purebred.. She is 3 1/2 years old and she seems Shellie to me except I thought she would have more hair.. Will it still grow.? Is she even Sheltie.? her tail is held right and her proportions are perfect.. She runs right, she isvery feminim     Please help.!? Go to the links.. The first two pics are old but hey are the only body shots so..

http://s778.photobucket.com/user/chanelrenae21/library/Mobile%20Uploads

• Gold Top Dog

I don't think anyone could answer that question except the person who bred her.  She's very pretty.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I agree with Jackie. You could find a local breeder in your area who knows the standard they may be able to help as well. Very beautiful pup!

• Gold Top Dog

Purebred, I'm sure. Quality of breeding determines the attributions of a dog (height, weight, coat, color, etc). There is SHOW/STUD quality which is where a breeder feels the dog is such "perfection" to the breed standard they will keep the dog and use it for Confirmation and Breeding. Sometimes these dogs retire later and are adopted out of the home. Then there is Pet/Companion quality which varies immensely based on WHERE you purchase a dog. My Sheltie's parents are (2) BSS CH shetland sheepdogs which means they have won best in show and been championed through confirmation trials. When my breeder mated these two dogs it's merely genetics that the puppies themselves will be very close to the breed standard. Males top coat of hair gets fuller and longer and Females top coast will be long but not as full as the males when you see them side by side. This I believe is a hormone thing. I have a Female Shelties she is only 1 year old so her coat isn't full grown yet but almost. Feel free to click on my profile to see what a female coat looks like. I also have pictures of her Mother and Father on my computer I can upload if you are interested in what the "breed standard" of a show Sheltie looks like. All puppies start off with fuzzy short hair and then by 2 years old the coat is fully grown.

The most important thing is to love her of course :) So long coat or short it sounds like you adore and love her. That is all that matters when it comes to a pet/companion.