Rescue puppy--Guesses on breeds?

• Bronze

Rescue puppy--Guesses on breeds?

My husband and I adopted Pax, a rescue puppy, about a month ago. He is now about 14 weeks old and weighs around 9 lbs. He was rescued from a high kill shelter so we don't know anything about his parents or the rest of his litter. I would love to hear about what breeds he might look like.

I uploaded some photos of him on my profile. The one where he is dark and fluffy was taken when he was really young. He has lightened up a lot and lost puppy fuzz since then.

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog
    He kind of looks like a little german shepard. :) He's adorable.
    • Gold Top Dog

PUPPEEEEEE!!!  You got puppy breath in your life!

Oops, sorry; all my dogs have been rescues arriving here as adults, so I've not had a puppy and get excited, ha ha haa.

Gee, the fluffy black photo could almost be a different dog, couldn't it?!  Quite a change in a short time.  

The tail is interesting, I don't think that is GSD; nmade me think dachshund in the mix.  When he was fluffy I was thinking a pom or shih tzu mix, but once the fluff disappeared, ???  Will be fun to see him as he grows, and maybe it will become more apparent.

I'm curious, did the fluffiness brush out, fall out (I mean, like shedding, not an illness, lol).  Bichons do have a different coat as puppies, but their coat changes about age 6 to 8 months, from what I've read, not 3 to 4 months.  And it drops out, almost like a husky "blowing coat," he hee.

• Gold Top Dog
    the long low body and short boxy muzzle hint at Pekingese being in there someplace. Now it is "trendy" to breed multi generational toy or smallish breeds together into a muddle and make up cutsie names...and I see more and more of these in rescue. They may get no bigger than 15lbs adult, some push 20lbs but in there you'd find Peke, Chihuahua, Pom, Maltese, etc etc etc. I see a bit of Tibetan Spaniel in this dog, but since those are rare and people do not tend to muddle those...I would go with Peke, Pom, Cavalier KC Spaniel and probably a few other smallish breeds. But that long tubular body, black mask, short muzzle and dropped ear seems Peke-ish to me.
    • Bronze
    His paperwork actually says peke mix and shih tzu mix in two different places. He shredded a ton for about two weeks and now his fur is much thinner and tanner. I am curious to see how big he gets!
    • Bronze
    I definitely agree with Pekingese mix. He is a true mutt. I may do a DNA test in the future, do you know if any are accurate or worth doing?
    • Gold Top Dog

He actually does have the markings and coat of a medium to dark sable GSD but everything else is off (size, face, ears, tail, etc).  I'm not sure that these markings are exclusive to GSDs though, I'm sure plenty of other breeds could have the same coat and pattern with totally different conformation and type.

• Gold Top Dog

Mehee13
    I definitely agree with Pekingese mix. He is a true mutt. I may do a DNA test in the future, do you know if any are accurate or worth doing?

Having never personally used it, but lots of members have and its quite laughable. So I'd say they're far from accurate.

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles
    the long low body and short boxy muzzle hint at Pekingese being in there someplace..

I thought I saw Peke in there, too.  I thought I saw some Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, too.  He's a cutie for sure!  Oh, and as someone else mentioned, those DNA tests are laughable, so don't waste your money.