Standard Poodle

• Gold Top Dog

Standard Poodle

As most of you know, my next dog will probably be a standard poodle. Something large, intelligent and non-shedding. The NON-SHEDDING part is my DH's only requirment.... after having a yellow lab in the house that sheds non-stop.  

Can you guys share with me any info you have on the breed? Pics? Personal stories? Etc.... 

I'm looking for a standard poodle forum to join... something to find and learn more detailed information about the breed.

If you guys have any good suggestions, could you shoot me a PM.

• Gold Top Dog

The grooming is very expensive, and there are quite a few health and temperament issues in the breed. You're going to want to do a LOT of research on lines and pedigrees, if you want a healthy, happy dog that's going to live a long time.

• Gold Top Dog

I have two standards a big male Dijon and big female Tisha. I have found that the white and light colored poodles are more agressive and the black and dark colored poodles are more laid back. Dijon is light tan colored and can be very agressive and very protective and Tisha is so laid back. Tisha is very intelligent as she knows many commands and tricks. Dijon seems to be a little more intelligent than Tisha as he has learned more commands and tricks. Grooming is very expensive as I have learned to groom Tisha & Dijon myself I keep thier coat short with pom poms on thier feet and keep thier top knot shaped to thier cut thier face and feet are shaved. I went with poodles as I have very bad allergies and the poodles do not aggravate my allergies. I feed Tisha & Dijon Holistic Select Lamb and rice. I never feed them any human food.. The only humand food they are aloud is fruit and vegetables only. I have had many BC's, Dobermans, Pugs, Bloodhounds, Redbones, aussies most which have been rescue dogs. I will say I love my Poodles very much as they are now my children. Yes I do recomend a poodle to a person if they are willing to keep up on all the grooming all the exercize they need all the training as they are very smart make sure you feed them hifh quility food. They do require alot of attention as they love people and playing with other dogs. Make sure to socialize them with people and other dogs so that they can have social skills. They are good with children and make a good family pet. I have found that they make a great watch dog and the white and light colored make a good guard dog. You might think this is funny a poodle guard dog but when you think of it a Large 65 pound or larger dog coming at you Disguised as a Poodle grolling and snapping and barking will get your attention. Yes you need to be how you want it to be.

Chris the Poodle Daddy. All dogs make the best people.

• Gold Top Dog

My mother has had 2 standard poodles and my  trainer currently has 1.  Asti was a cream color and lived to be 18 years old.  She was a very outgoing dog.  She never met a person or another animal that wasn't instantly her best friend.  She was extremely active and loved chasing tennis balls.  Even to the end, she would wear herself out going after a ball.  It was really hard for us to not throw one for her because we knew how much she loved them.  Her current dog is a chocolate color.  Sophie is the exact opposite of Asti.  She is a velcro dog and is extremely cautious around strangers.  She has been well socialized since my mom got her.  Mom often takes her to work at the chiropractors office and also to the church.  She is most shy of men but has never shown any aggression to anyone.  She also isn't much for playing with toys.  Someone else mentioned that grooming was expensive but I think that depends are where you are located.  My mom pays $40 each time but I'm not sure how often she goes.  She keeps her in a modified puppy cut because she doesn't like the pom-poms and really short areas. 

My trainer also has a standard poodle.  She doesn't take her for grooming but does everything herself.  She keeps Macy in a very short coat all over - she feels just like a sheep.  Macy is a cream color and has a bit of an aggressive streak towards small animals.  While they have rabbits and guinea pigs in their home which she has never tried to harm, cats and squirrels while out of the house are an entirely different issue. 

Personally I think they are great dogs.  We had a toy poodle when we were kids but I think if I was ever to own one myself, it would be a standard.

Good luck with your search!

• Gold Top Dog

If I were going to look into getting a Standard Poodle, I'd check out this breeder. She has worked towards reducing the COI of her Poodles to improve their health. There are some interesting articles about her project on her website: http://www.tiarapoodles.com/

I have always liked Standard Poodles. Most I have been around have been very athletic and  had really nice personalities.

• Gold Top Dog

My sister has 2 standard poodles that speak well for the breed.  They are good travelers, are intelligent and obedient, are great watchdogs, energetic, and are excellent with kids.  She takes them to a groomer about every 6 weeks for a puppy cut.  She chose this breed because one of her sons is allergic to dogs, but does fine with the poodles. 

• Gold Top Dog

One of the girls at the self- dog wash that I frequent has a white SP and that dog is gorgeous. Also, very well behaved.