Do you think our dog is a true Brittany?

• Puppy

Do you think our dog is a true Brittany?

Hi, new here.  I put some pics of our dog "Buddy" in Photobucket. I'm not that experienced yet using that site, so I hope this works out here's the link:

http://s1023.photobucket.com/albums/af351/linsjean/Buddy/

After looking over the pics of our Buddy, do you think he is a true Brittany?  We bought him from Craig's List and he's almost 18 months old now and he sure looks like a Brittany but he's got freckles on his nose and a long featherly tail. Lots of featherly coat.  "Owner" claimed he was half Maltese, no way!  He weighs 33 pounds and probably has stopped growing. 

What do you think?

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog

The tail should not be factored in since Brittany Spaniels have docked tails. Although some are actually born with short tails, Breeders do dock the long tailed ones to about a 3-4 inch length.  And many of the Brits I have seen as pups and at shows have Freckles.   The size wize a Brtty runs 33 to 46 pounds depending on height.   It is very possible you have a Companion quality Pure Bred Britty.  If So the coat will continue to come in as the pup ages giving it the look you find in books.

• Puppy

Thank you!

• Gold Top Dog

What a cute pup!  I don't think he's a purebred Brittany, tho.  He has a longer coat than any Brittany I've ever seen (we know quite a few people with Britts).  For some reason, I'm thinking he has some Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) in him as well.

• Silver

micksmom

I don't think he's a purebred Brittany, tho.  He has a longer coat than any Brittany I've ever seen (we know quite a few people with Britts).

Agreed. Even though I'm more familiar with the French type. My friend has and has bred Brittany's and I've actually photographed one speciality show here in Finland and I've never seen one with such a long coat, nor one with quite that much hair in their tails (and I've seen plenty of tails as docking is illegal here).