Speaking of breeds...any guesses?

• Gold Top Dog

Speaking of breeds...any guesses?

So, according to the vet guess, Hap's a "black mouth cur". Before this vet, I was always told he was a "mountain cur". From my limited understanding, it seems like "cur" is just a registered breed of mixes, lol. I don't really care, but people ask ALL the time what kind of dog he is. I especially love it when people ask if he and Thatch are brothers...Mom always replies with "half-brothers cuz they're my kids" lol. Anyways, just wanted to see what yall knowledgable folks could come up with. Oh...he kind of runs with a loping lopsided gait that reminds me of a greyhound.

Pretty sure Thatcher's just a golden retriever/lab mix. I don't really see any other possible breeds in him at all.

Lol, from reading the forum I figure dna tests are crap, and it's not really a big deal...Just wondered what you guys guessed. =)

• Gold Top Dog
    I'm not sure why a vet would guess BMC? Maybe it's just a term that vet uses when he doesn't know what else to call the dog. BMCs really are not a common breed but they do have that generic brown dog looks with a slight lab appearance so it would be easy to look at a pic of one to compare and say, yep looks like a BMC. BMCs are also more muscular with a full build and more boxy face then what Hap appears to be. They were used as a herding/hunting dog. I'll be honest, I have never met an actual BMC in person so it's hard for me to say I know much about the breed.

As for my guess...? Well, he looks to be a mix of a mix. If I didn't know he was a medium to large sized dog I would guess JRT but size doesn't rule out that it could just as easily be in the mix. Whatever he is, he sure looks loved. :-)
    • Gold Top Dog

Lol, loved yes...spoiled even more. =) He weighs about 55 lbs and he stands about knee high... he definitely has the energy like I've heard JRTs are supposed to have.

• Gold Top Dog

If you google mountain cur at the very bottom and middle of the page, there IS a "mountain cur" that looks ALOT like Hap. But considering you have to go 3 pages in... lol.