Greyhounds

• Gold Top Dog

Greyhounds

Hey guys, just had a few questions about greyhounds. I've always really, really liked greyhounds and whippets. Yesterday, Josie and i volunteered at an event where the greyhound rescue was. Of course i spent a lot of time fawning over those sweet things. I talked to them for awhile, and they were encouraging that I look into adopting. Josie was on her best behavior, sitting quietly, but i expressed my concerns about her being a very rough player. They said lots of greyhounds like to rough play. The only thing i was disappointed about, was that they said greys aren't big on hiking (my favorite thing).

So anyway, i'm not sure i'm interested in another dog at the moment, but i can't stop thinking about a grey. Wyatt goes back and forth between my house and my ex's, but prefers his house since he's the only dog there, and Josie bugs him a lot. So, there might be a day or 2 a week where there'd be 4 dogs if i did...yikes! So my question...with a wild dobe who likes full on contact wrestling, would a greyhound be a bad choice for me? I eventually want another dobe, but i'm gonna have to wait until the wild girl settles. I'm just throwing the idea around right now, but i'd love to hear any experiences from anyone who's owned a greyhound. Thanks!!

• Gold Top Dog

I don't know too much about greys, I heard their skin is thin so their prone to injuries when rough playing, but... I watched 2 young rescue greys 1 weekend and they were wild things! They were mouthy and loud and wrestled alot. They were brothers/littermates, so maybe this is why they played so rough? They also never injured each other. When we went out for a leash walk they were mellow as anything, but off leash in their (fenced) yard they were crazy! They also chased anything that set foot into their yard (squirrels, birds, rabbits) and they actually caught and ripped apart a rabbit once!!

• Gold Top Dog

I have never owned a Grey but have quite a bit of experience with them (raised a Grey puppy, shown them, gone to judges ed for them and have been around quite a lot of them).

I think some Grey rescue groups tend to be a bit...I dunno optimistic about the breed. Most seem to only talk about how wonderful the breed is and their attitude seems to be one of "these dogs are perfect for everyone". I can appreciate that they want to help the dogs but I have known quite a few who haven't worked out in their homes because the breed isn't right for everyone (no breed is).

The Greys in rescue tend to be well mannered - they walk on leash well, are crate trained, tolerate handling/medical stuff pretty well and generally house train easily. Most are adult dogs who have raced and as such, they are well socialized to things racing dogs need to be socialized. Unfortunately most have not been socialized to children and IME Greys are not the best breed for young kids, even if they have been well socialized to them. I'm not sure if you have kids or not but I wouldn't suggest them for kids under 10 in most cases. Most just don't care for the stuff that little kids like to do with dogs such as roughhousing,  hugging/hanging on them, getting in their space. Space guarding and startle aggression are fairly common in the breed, both in show and racing dogs. I would say most cases I have known of Greys not working out in their new homes has been because of the dogs not getting along with young kids.

I think the Greyhound's thin skin thing is a bit overstated. Yes they can get nicked or even skin tears a bit easier than the average dog but they can still play normally with most other dogs. The ones I have known played with each other without being muzzled and played with a wide range of other breeds at daycare. My oldest Belgian absolutely loved the Grey puppy I had and they would play "toothy games" all day long with each other, as well as wild chase and wrestle games outside and it never resulted in injury. The only really bad injuries I have seen with them from other dogs have involved them being involved in an actual fight - having  a bit thinner skin and very thin hair can put them at a disadvantage there. 

Not sure if you have cats but I wouldn't ever consider any Greyhound to be "cat safe", no matter what the rescue tells you. Many can be fine with dog savvy cats in the house but cats outside or cats who tend to freak out and bolt real easily can trigger a predatory response, even in dogs who have "always been fine" with cats. This can also be a problem with smaller dogs.  At daycare, prey drive with smaller dogs was probably the biggest issue with the Greys. Most seem to get along pretty well with dogs otherwise.

As house dogs, Greys tend to be very easy. Most like to spend their much of their time lounging on the couch. They don't tend towards being destructive at all and are generally very quiet and easy to live with. That said, they love to run. While they don't need a ton of exercise a day, I always feel badly for ones who rarely get to run off leash. For this reason, I personally wouldn't have one without access to a fenced yard or area for them to run in.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks guys. I think i'm going to see if I can foster to see how they fit in. No kids, MAYBE never...but if I do have kids i hope it will be a very long time. No cats either. My backyard is probably a little more than 1/8 of acre, my dogs can actually run as fast as they can out there. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the info!

• Gold Top Dog

The greys I’m met and worked with have always been wonderful dogs.  A few were from dog racing rescue and they were as plesent as could be.  I think fostering would be an excellent way to get to know the breed before you take the big step to owning one.  My brother really wants a whippet after meeting the greys that are his colleges's Mascots.  I've posted this pic before, but here is my brother with the mascots:

The only reason I would not consider a greyhound or any sight hound for myself is because I do have rodents as pets who would make a tasty treat for them.  I would also not trust one with a cat or even a small dog.

• Gold Top Dog

I think they are lovely...but I would not own them because I like a small breed or two and wouldn't want to limit myself. I'd also prefer one from a breeder just because and those are hard to find. And I really like a bit more expression and personality in my dogs...case en point...Cleo.

Probably prefer the Whippet over the grey anyhow. LOL.

Some of the Grey adoption groups are REALLY really odd too...I have found, the word "zealot" came to mind from some of the stories I have heard. I know you only hear the worst sometimes but I have been on their sites and checked out some of the things they want in a home and well...yeah.

• Gold Top Dog

RidgebackGermansShep

Thanks guys. I think i'm going to see if I can foster to see how they fit in. No kids, MAYBE never...but if I do have kids i hope it will be a very long time. No cats either. My backyard is probably a little more than 1/8 of acre, my dogs can actually run as fast as they can out there. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the info!

Sounds like you are a good possibility for one! Fostering is an excellent idea. I really love sighthounds and will have one someday.

• Puppy

Did you ever start fostering a Grey?

I have a Greyhound, and love him, he is the "bestest thing in the world" for ME. I must mention that they differ greatly in energy levels and disposition, i don't doubt that a good adoption agency could get the "perfect" grey for you. I have a young beagle (14 months) and my grey; beagles are extremely high energy dogs, greys are the opposite. The two get along great. My grey will play with the beagle, or chase him, or steal his toys, ... but usually he just chills out on the couch.  

My grey is not white.cat.safe and that is something you should look into when adopting. He gets along great with small dogs (even white ones after they have been introduced), and any other small animal as long as it's not white. Here i will mention that if we go out for a run (enclosed areas only!) where i don't know what other animals there may be, I put on his racing muzzle, he doesn't mind at all, and it gives me peace of mind.

The grey goes to work with me every day, sleeps-chills-behaves for 8 hrs, and i haven't had a single incident in over a year. The retired racers come crate trained, and to varying degrees leash trained, which is a great plus. My grey only had one "accident" inside and it was because the door had been closed. He has been a dream to train (don't believe a word of 'can't teach a old dog new tricks';) he is eager to please and has a great response to his basic commands (two thousandfold that of the beagle).

I wouldn't worry about the rough play, my grey gets going and you can see he is having fun and enjoying himself, if anything, just make sure that when he is "done" playing, he can go and chill somewhere. When they start playing they go at it, big time, but the grey is always careful with the beagle, neither of them has ever gotten hurt, my grey is extremely patient, both with the beagle and small children (there is a four year old he just adores!). My grey has learned a technique where the beagle fits between his legs when he is stitting and he can play with her without getting up -Talk about lazy- but it's great, the beagle has a great time, and all he has to do is use his neck and head. My grey also hangs out with a Weimeraner who is also high energy, and they do fine with each other. The Weimeraner won't put up with the beagle for more than a few hours though (think patience). He also plays with a 8mo. Giant Schnauzer who weighs quite a bit more than he does, and they do fine. Just keep an eye out, your grey will probably tire before a puppy or "active" breed.

As for the hiking... it depends on your grey. Mine is extremely lazy and a 20 min walk to and from work is about tops (if he could get out of his walks he would). He has gone out with us for an hour or two at a time, but you can tell he is tired and not enjoying it. I would say, if you're planing on hiking for over two hours, leave him at home. He will love to stay on the couch and be excited when you get home.

Things to keep in mind. They are Lazy... as in LAZY, ie. can sleep for 18 hrs strait. (45mi per hour couch potatoes) They are not guard dogs, rarely bark, did i mention they are calm? They can never be off lead in an unenclosed area. They are large dogs and do require large comfortable beds, coats for cold weather and preferably they should be at least semi-indoor dogs during extreme weather. Most have high prey drive/not small animal safe. They do enjoy a good run every once in a while. They can be shy-timid in noisy/chaotic environments, and loud noises can easily spook them. They won't do well with all food.

My grey is the perfect fit for me and my lifestyle, but this is not the dog for everyone. I am a very sedentary person, and my dog is a introvert who enjoys the calm. Within a breed you will have lots of variation, and probably an adoption agency can help you choose the one that will work best. The advantage of adult dogs is that they already ARE, and you can know what characteristics and behavior it has.

On a closing note, whippets are not closely related to greys. They are much more energetic and high strung than greys, they have terrier blood and very different dispositions.

I can't figure out how to post pictures, so here are some links. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31580204&l=d7e0ca0fed&id=44700623 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31580205&l=102b73ee09&id=44700623 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31580199&l=e5a25f920c&id=44700623 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31572977&l=06929a014b&id=44700623 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31572988&l=7a8d161574&id=44700623 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31461614&l=3cc3eecc2e&id=44700623