French bulldog

• Puppy

French bulldog

Hi everyone,

I live in a small apartment and I'm thinking of adopting a French bulldog as I've heard that they are well suited to apartment life and I also think they are adorable. My main concern is health problems. I've been very unlucky in the past as my boxer died of esophagus cancer and my bullmastiff died of lymphoma. For those of you who own a Frenchie or have done so in the past I'd like to know if they have many health problems. I don't want to end up with massive vet bills and more importantly having to suffer another tragic loss. Also I have 2 kittens at the moment so I'd like to also know if they tend to get along with cats. I'm hoping to adopt a dog around 1 year old or at least one that has been already house trained. I'm not going to be buying one from a breeder so I doubt I will have any records of his/her's parents health history etc..

Any info will be much appreciated!

• Gold Top Dog

Hahahaha. Yes. Many health problems is probably the main drawback of ANY flat faced breed, unfortunately.

http://www.frenchbulldogclub.org/ht/d/sp/i/2275/pid/2275

This is the Frenchie club's section on health. Like other short, flat faced dogs, they have a difficult time with reproduction, breathing issues, and orthopedic issues. There are also some temperament issues in the breed. If I wanted a Frenchie, I'd spend years researching pedigrees and getting to know breeders. Someone who breeds for healthy, even tempered dogs is imperative. 

• Gold Top Dog

without bringing down the wrath of the anti-designer breed set might i direct you towards the "Shorty Bull" if you want a short squashed indoor bully breed with fewer health problems.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/s/shortybull.htm

http://www.shortybullinc.com/faq.html

I had the pleasure of meeting and GRILLING one of the founders of this breed. maybe i should say Bar B Qued .. the whole bulldog forum flamed this person when she first introduced them to the Bulldog Breeds Forum back in .....2006 i think? I left that forum because they were extremely aggressive towards new people and the attitude towards this breed tyrannical and uncalled for(maybe its true what they say about guys who drive fast cars and own bad dogs... compensation..) Anyway All i cared about was if it was an actual improvement to what is already out there.

seems like it is.

and... they CAN have puppies without the aid of a scalpel! (not that you may interested in breeding, but i am not a fan of intentionally breeding dogs who can never do it the natural way and is considered acceptable/normal by the professional breeders, just my opinion) 

Because this is a new "breed" there is no rescue or over population. in fact... getting one might be difficult. i havent tried so i dont know. what i do know is i liked what i saw in the videos and pictures posted. these dogs are doing things Frenchies only wish they could do... weight pulling, spring pole, jumping, running.... breathing.... 

i did a few searches using key words like shorty bull health problems and shorty bull rescue ..so far i have only found some really rude people in forums who ASSUME they are unhealthy and a few breed info pages saying there either few or non or depends on the dog.

I dunno. its your call.  i will say good luck finding one though.