GSDs

• Gold Top Dog

GSDs

Okay so my dad has it narrowed down to 2 breeds- Chessies and GSDs.  He wants a Chessie to be a gun dog, she wants a GSD and has dreamed of one since she was little.  Just knowing how things work (lol) I think they'll end up with another GSD. 

Now, my dad has had a GSD before and loves them but our GSD was from an oops litter and kind of  an impulse thing.  He was great but his health wasn't.  :( He is used to breeds where there are just working and showing lines and I think is confused by the amount of splits in GSDs.  He is looking for a big dog with a protective streak.  Doesn't have to back things up, but would be a good deterrent.  He is also looking for a highly active dog that will hike and go trail riding/camping with him. 

I know which lines I would look at but I don't know what lines to tell him to look at.  What would be a good resource I could send him to explain differences?  He is not very computer savvy.  ;)  He does know he doesn't want an Am showline if he gets a GSD.

So he's researching both breeds now and it will be a while before getting a dog either way.

• Gold Top Dog

I'd maybe consider some of the eastern lines.  All lines have enough health problems as it is, I would not be encouraging breeding overly large dogs but there are some lines that just have more "presence".  Some of the eastern (DDR & Czech) working lines have these massive heads.  The dogs themselves are not larger but they look like a dump truck.  Plus a working line is most commonly going to be a darker sable, black, or have more black coverage.  They just look more imposing.  They also sometimes mature a bit slower in the head and show more suspicion in general.  Many work more in defense than in prey so they are more naturally protective and react to threat.  That said though, my Nikon is quite dark with a black mask and also works more in defense than prey.  Depending on how he matures I may do Personal Protection work with him in the future.  Some of the German show lines have big heads and darker masks.

The important thing is to find a breeder that knows what they are doing and can get your dad what he needs/wants.  Litters can run the gamut as far as temperament.  Just today at training we were working some puppies.  The puppy I had (the one that I had in my home for a few weeks before Christmas) came in with confidence, barked well, and bite/struck hard and full.  Later on her littermate sister came in and was terrified of everyone.  Like I said Nikon works mostly in defense but he has a littermate sister that works in prey and is super object oriented while he is not the least bit interested in tugging, winning, or possessing a sleeve (he just wants to neutralize the threat).

Both working lines (any type) and German Show line dogs can be highly active.  Again it would totally depend on the lines and the specific breeding.  Again another reason to find a good breeder that knows their dogs and what they are producing.