Chessies

• Gold Top Dog

Chessies

Okay so out of left field but the dog isn't for me, it's for my dad.

He has wanted a big dog for a while now, hasn't had one since our shepherd passed. There were really two things he wanted in a dog, a strong protective/guardian streak and a bird dog. He's looked at a LOT of breeds. Another field lab, Griffs, Flatcoats, GSP, even some of the guardian breeds and Aussies since they're high energy and generally decent guarders. But he went hunting with some guys who had a couple field labs and a chessie and has become enamored with them.

I don't know that much about them other than they are a lot of dog. But I think they sound just like what he is looking for. A dog to hunt with and a dog that will guard the house. Anyone have any good resources for the breed? Are they still often bred for working ability as opposed to show lines? He does not want a show line dog for a hunting dog because of his past experience with show and working line labs.  He's very biased towards the working line labs but I get the feeling chessies aren't quite as split.

I figured I'd help with the research some.

He has a year before getting the dog and is open to other ideas.

Here's what he wants in a dog:

Dog must:
    - be relatively large and formidable
    - be a good watch dog around the house
    - be easily groomed
    - not be excessively drooly
    - be decent with the cats and paps but he doesn't have a problem with keeping them in separate parts of the house and supervising all interactions etc.

Preferred:

- dog that will be able to hunt some kind of birds (he hunts pheasant, quail, and duck most)
    - enjoy going out to the lake on the boat and fish with him

And he would like a dog to trail ride with but that's not necessarily required. Any breed suggestions would be great too if there's a breed he's overlooking.

He has 20 acres and a lake which seems ideal for any sort of retriever breed. They also have 3 papillons and a medium sized mutt at the moment (the mutt is very old and I honestly don't know if she'll be around in a year :( ), a couple cats, and several Tennessee Walking Horses.  He has had many working pointers and setters and one field trial line labrador as well as a lot of herders and toy dogs (my mom always preferred the smaller dogs). 

• Gold Top Dog

The Chessie I used to take care of was a good guard type dog, much more so than your average lab or Golden.  He seemed more aloof, dominant, and alert.  He did drool and shed a lot.  He was 115lbs so quite formidable but I think he may have just been huge and fat.

• Gold Top Dog
    Moderate drooling is okay and shedding is okay too. I think he just doesn't want say a mastiff or an extremely jowly dog. And the grooming he doesn't mind shedding but doesn't want a coat that requires lots of brushing and clipping. He definitely likes the idea of something not lab or golden like in temperament.
    • Gold Top Dog

I've spent some time around Chessies and have trained a few for bird hunting, both dove and waterfowl. Chessies taught me just where the holes in my training were. lol  The breed is quite different from the other retrievers, in some respects.  They make effective watch dogs.  They can hunt all day and trail riding would be right up their alley.  Very athletic dogs with tons of stamina.  I found them more unforgiving of training mistakes than Labs and Goldens. Trainers sometimes consider them stubborn but it's often a case of bad communication.  Chessies are thinking dogs, more so than Labs and Goldens. The ones I knew could be aloof with strangers but formed tight bonds with their families.  They do shed and have a dense, almost oily coat.  They would be fine around cats or small dogs if properly socialized.  I don't think they have experienced the huge field/show split like Labs and Goldens but there are certainly lines that might have been bred more for the ring than the field.  I think he could do much worse than a well bred Chessie from lines with a few field titles. 

Working Retriever Central is a good source to search for a breeder.

• Gold Top Dog

I've met a few Chessies and found them to be more serious than any other retriever I met. They were affectionate with their family and aloof with strangers. VERY smart dogs.

I've met several field bred labs over the year and found them to be great dogs. Smart, friendly, not sure about how guardy they are though.

I can say that if your Dad is looking for a more serious dog, a Flat Coat will not be a good match. They are silly dogs, sense of humor and they remain that way for a very long time. They are smart, but mischevious at times. As Ari's breeder put it, they have "flat coat moments", in which they decide to do something routine, but with a twist to make it more interesting. Her example was retrieving game. Instead of coming straight back to you, they may decide to make an obstacle course of it and take the long way back, just because it's fun and hopefully their human is laughing.

They are also not an imposing dog, as a Flat Coat tends to greet everyone with a happy face, wagging tail and a billion kisses. However, they are great alert barkers in the home and their barks are imposing. There's not too much difference between those bred for show and the field, since their gene pool is so small and those breeding them are doing their best to keep the breed true while improving it (cancer is a serious concern in the breed and it hits them young) If a Flat Coat is still in the running for him, I could likely put you in touch with Ari's breeder to discuss the breed further. She currently owns 4, shows and is very active in the Flat Coat world. She loves talking about them.

• Gold Top Dog

A friend of mine owns a chessie - he's her husbands hunting dog. The dog also lives with two poms, a terrier mix and a few cats - with no issues. I've never met him personally - but the owner brags about him all the time.