miniature australian shepard

• Gold Top Dog

miniature australian shepard

Is this a legitimate breed?  I  saw one today and they are so  cute.  But, I've never heard of them until just recently.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't think so, I think the Aussie standard is more open-ended as far as size?  I know three Aussie people who both have 0r have had a "very small" Aussie or two but can't stand when they are referred to as "mini".  They have show and performance titles.  One I know has titles in conformation (UKC and ASCA), agility, weight pull, tracking, and rally.  She just had her first litter and I got to see the puppies and they were nearly as big as her so the sire must be larger.

• Gold Top Dog

Yup, just like so many other breeds that people have thought they needed miniatures of the breed, there are miniature Australian shepherds. Don't know what they originally bred them with to get the small size, but they are very small. Our agility instructor ended up with one someone had bought and then couldn't keep. I must admit, she is quite cute.

• Gold Top Dog

Yes there is a miniature australian shepard I had one his name was Bobby a 37 pound bundle of love. He passed on a little over 2 years ago at the age of 15 years. There was also a miniature australian shepard that was going to the dog park with but she died of cancer around Christmas last year, not much of a Christmas present. Both of these dogs were about the same sixe and build ours was rescued form the shelter our friends was from a breeder in Phoenix AZ. They look and have all of the same features of the large breed including no tail but a bit smaller. Some people don't know Poodles come in three (3) sizes Standerd, Miniature and Toy all bread down from the standard poodle. This is just a little information I know from owning a miniature australian shepard. and yes they were bread down from a standard  australian shepard.

All Dogs make the best people

Chris the Poodle Daddy.

• Gold Top Dog

no, it's not a recognized breed - although there are people breeding and making money off these smaller guys. but last time I checked - they are not recognized as a 'breed'

• Gold Top Dog

Its not recognized but it is a fraction within the breed that has been around for a rather long time now before the huge popularity boom of breeding pocket size and other designer dogs.  The Australian Shepherds already had a rather broad spectrum of sizes and some breeders decided to slowly breed down the size.  Good breeders naturally pay attention to temperament and health while doing so.

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje
    I know three Aussie people who both have 0r have had a "very small" Aussie or two but can't stand when they are referred to as "mini". 

Noel is only 34 lbs.She comes from working lines and is ASCA registered.At the 4H show last year the Judges kept refering to her as a mini and my 11 year old son had to set them straight! The main problem I have with minis is that typically folks want a smaller dog to fit in an appartment or small back yard.These mini aussies are still herders bred to work hard and without that outlet they will not be happy campers.Another point is that Australian Shepherds are a young breed with a relativley limited gene pool so it could be argued that to concentrate the breeding program on reducing size is premature at this time.

Tena 

• Gold Top Dog

Tena's points are all well taken.  It's hard enough to keep Aussies out of the hands of people ill-equipped to manage them without making them smaller and giving people the idea that this is another Something-poo that they can easily live with or tote around in a handbag.  When the mental capacities of these dogs remain true to their herding heritage, they can be a tiny nightmare on wheels, which is why so many of them end up in rescue.

From ASCA:

"The Miniature Australian Shepherd, North American Shepherd, North American Miniature Australian Shepherd, and/or Toy Australian Shepherd breeds are not recognized as a variety of Australian Shepherd by ASCA. The club considers such dogs to be a distinct and separate breed and will not accept them into its registry. Our bylaws state that ASCA's purpose is: 'To encourage members and breeders to accept one breed standard for the Australian Shepherd as approved by the Club as the only standard of excellence by which Australian Shepherds shall be judged.' It is the mission of this club ASCA and the mission of its members to preserve the breed rather than change it."

From USASA:

"The Miniature Australian Shepherd and the Toy Australian Shepherd are not recognized or considered varieties of the Australian Shepherd by this organization, the United States Australian Shepherd Association, Inc. (USASA), or by the American Kennel Club (AKC).   Since these dogs are not AKC registered, they cannot be verified by USASA as purebred, and therefore are not considered Australian Shepherds by this organization.

The USASA does not support the purposeful breeding of Miniature Australian Shepherds and Toy Australian Shepherds, and expects all members who have breeding programs to breed to the USASA/AKC recognized standard of excellence. The USASA further expects all members to be ever vigilant in the preservation and protection of the Australian Shepherd."

• Gold Top Dog

Aussies don't have a weight range. They have a height range instead.

Some aussies are just born on the small side (16" tall). However, if you take a really good look at most "Mini" aussies it is very obvious that they have been crossed with poms, jacks, chi's and other similar small breeds. I have even seem them crossed with corgis to obtain the shorter legs

• Gold Top Dog

willowchow

Is this a legitimate breed?  I  saw one today and they are so  cute.  But, I've never heard of them until just recently.

"A breed is a group of domestic animals with a homogeneous appearance, behavior, and other characteristics that distinguish it from other animals of the same species. When bred together, animals of the same breed pass on these uniform traits to their offspring, and this ability—known as "breeding true"—is a definitive requirement for a breed." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed

Mini Aussies (or North American Shepherds) do meet these critia, so yes they are a legitimate breed. In addition to this they maintain a breed regitry, have a breed standard and can participate in ARBA shows. Some people, for whatever reason object to the creation of new breeds and refuse to see any newer breed as legitimate but that doesn't make those people right. There are well bred Mini Aussies/NAmShepherds from reputable breeders who health test and prove their dogs but there are also plenty of carelessly bred "Mini Aussies" (many are obvious mixes) too. Like any other breed, you need to do your homework.