Finding a responsible Papillon Breeder

• Gold Top Dog

Finding a responsible Papillon Breeder

I currently have a neutered male Papillon who will be 10 this November and a 2 year old GSD. I am considering adding another Papillon in the next couple of years and am looking for breeder recommendations (might as well start the research early!). I love my boy, but I also learned a lot from him. As soon as the ink dried on the check I never heard from his breeder again despite several attempts at contact. My boy is also quite high strung and has some temperment issues.

Nonetheless, I love him and other Papillons I have met have further convinced me that this is a great breed, I just have to make sure I am smart in choosing my next puppy / breeder.

I love dog sports. I am looking for a breeder that stresses health and temperment. I want an outgoing, ready for anything kind of dog. My pup will definitely be involved in flyball like my current dog, and will also probably do agility and possibly rally. I will not consider a breeder that does not provide health clearances. The breeder must provide breeder support for the lifetime of the dog.

I want to be able to take my puppy at 8-12 weeks of age. I've noticed a trend in keeping puppies longer, but I don't want to miss this critical socialization period. I have no intentions of breeding, however I do believe in waiting to spay/neuter when the dog is mature.

Any suggestions? I know this was quite a bit of rambling! I am especiallly interested in people who compete in dog sports with their Pap.

Thanks!
    Erin

• Gold Top Dog
    Have you checked the PCA's breeder list?  You may have to wait until they are 14 weeks though because most breeders I know keep the pups longer than 8 weeks.  We got Beau at 11 weeks though.  Also, high strung and papillons typically go together as I'm sure you've noticed lol.