Can you tell me about some of the breeds Im interested in?

• Gold Top Dog

Can you tell me about some of the breeds Im interested in?

Im new here. Dont have a dog as of right now. Said goodbye to my 13 year old Dalmatian last year and now think Im ready for a new furkid. I have a few breeds in mind and want to know if anyone owns/owned any of them or give me any info on these breeds. I've been researching for 8 months now but would like some responses from anyone that has shared their lives with these breeds.

German Shorthair Pointer

Vizsla

Irish Setter

Weimaraner

• Gold Top Dog
    Welcome to the forum!

I've worked a little with each of these breeds but haven't own one. It's great you are asking these questions before you get your pup. I don't think I could give you specifics about each but certainly can give some input in helping you find the right breed. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dalmatian.

I guess you have to start by asking yourself what type of lifestyle you and your dog will share and if you want to start with a puppy or adopt an adult dog. It seems like you really like the sporty type of breeds so there are many similarities in the four you posted, I can see why it's such a difficult choice. The Irish Setter has longer fur and would need a little more grooming. (I personally like long haired breeds just because I feel as if grooming is part of the bonding process.)

There are breed specific rescues out there who go out of their way to match owners with dogs that are fit for them. They may ask you a few questions and then find the right dog to pair you up based on the needs of the dog and what your looking for. I think the best thing to do would be to contact a rescue and ask them about the breed. Now, if you want to buy a dog from a breeder, same thing, ask about the breed and what it's like living with that breed. A good breeder is always happy to answer questions about the breed and also welcomes it as a way to screen potential owners. Breeding is a very sensitive issues and the health of your dog depends on how knowledgeable the breeder is about the dog and how willing they are to do pre-breeding health screening. My advice is just to be careful who the dog comes from and know it's background.

Good luck, and I hope other members come along with some good advice as well.
    • Gold Top Dog

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dal.... we all understand how hard that is and completely sympathize with you.  These babies are special, and no matter how long we are blessed with them, it's never enough.

A change of subject, how awesome that you are doing your research!! 8 months, I'm impressed :) 

Obviously I'm a Weimaraner person, myself.  I, in fact, have a big ol' gray head on my lap as I type this.  Weimaraners are a fantastic breed of dog, but are certainly not for everyone!  Very high energy, which is matched by incredible intelligence.... makes everyday interesting! In fact, I spoke with a friend today (who has one of Logan's puppies) they called me to relay a great story. After taking their dog for a long hike they came home and put him in the house while they worked on the yard, thinking he'd be happy to take a nap.  He quickly joined them, I asked how that happened? Did you forget to shut the door?  No. Turns out he knows how to open doors, and has let their cat out!!  You have to have a sense of humor with these dogs, for sure :)  In rescue we often say "this guy was turned in, cause he was smarter than his owners."  You have to be on your toes and start from Day 1 with good habits or you will unleash a devil.  Training, exercise, training, training and more exercise and very importantly a job.... and you will have maybe one of the finest dogs you could hope to share your life with. 

Start at the Weimaraner Club of America which has all sorts of helpful information, including some of the fun activities you can do with Weims (such as show, field trials/hunt tests, obedience, tracking, rally, fly ball, SAR, Therapy work..... etc, etc, etc.  The only thing you cannot do with a Weim is NOTHING :)  Also, feel free to PM me if you need help finding a reputable breeder.  I cannot state enough you need a reputable breeder, not just with Weims but all breeds and a lot of Puppy Mills and Backyard Breeders have very slick sites up that can be very tough to distinguish the good from the bad.  Pups have all number of health and socialization issues, which makes things much more difficult from the get go.... not to mention potentially heart breaking.

Looks like you are interested in bird dogs, were you hoping to have a hunting companion?  I find the GSP and Vizsla to be closer to their insticts and bred more for a big run, which is to mean to get out and HUNT, where as Weimaraner's are a close hunting companion which should stick closer to you, they tend to do this naturally, unless you get a field bred Weim, trust me they will still hunt they just don't have the big run of a Field Dog and I'm quite OK with that.... that's not what they were bred to do.  IS's have a big rift between Field and Show lines.... coat and bird ability will be the main differences between them.  Out of the 4 I'd say, IMO the GSP and Vizsla's tend to be the most active, needing the most activity followed by Weims with the IS (bench) coming up as a fairly mellow dog.  NOW THIS CAN VARY WITH TEMPERAMENT AND PERSONALITY, obviously every dog is an individual. This is only from what I've observed, though and I'm sure many will come in with their different experiences. We have a couple of IS and Vizsla members and I think the GSP members are still here, I hope! 

Any particular questions??

Do take care and let us know what you decide to do... and again, please do not hesitate to ask for help. I'd love to make sure you get a good pup, if you decide to go that route.

• Gold Top Dog

Sera-J I noticed you have 2 Weims. Can you tell me a little about their individual personalities?

Im aware of the breeds mentioned activity/energy needs. Dont mind the long hair on the Irish Setter either. Im ready for all the possibilities.

I would be going the breeder route when I get a pup. I rescued my Dalmatian when she was a pup from a shelter and even though she was a very healthy easy dog I would have loved to known her background.

I will definitely be avoiding puppy mills and byb. Reason for the long research. Lot of people out there breeding to "make" money and I want to avoid that.

I would like to do obedience,tracking, and agility with the next dog that I get. Are all these breeds good at these? Is one better at them than the other? I wouldnt mind hunting but I couldnt kill a animal. I know these are bird dogs but I figured if I could do other activities it would be ok with the dog not having to hunt?

Sorry for all the questions. I just wanna get all the info I can get to make sure I get the best pup for me when the time comes.

I've gone to several dog shows and meet the breeds. I love all of them. Of course I only got to meet them for a few minutes! 

Has anyone owned more than one of the breeds mentioned? Would love their input on the differences!

• Gold Top Dog

As you know, all those are very active dogs.  Weims are very, very good at tracking, as are the other breeds you mention.   All can do agility, too, but of course, the herders are really the ones that excel in that sport by and large.  So, I guess it depends how serious you are.  Some people can deal with the energy level of the breeds you mention, but don't want the intensity and other habits of the herders.  So, really up to you.  My uncle had a great Irish when I was young - very versatile dog.  I don't see many now, though, so you would need to assess whether today's dogs are still bred for that or are too flighty as I sometimes see described.  I love Viszlas because they are so non-aggressive generally, and fit in to many venues without a fuss.  JMHO

• Gold Top Dog

Anyone own GSP, Vizsla, or Irish setters?

• Gold Top Dog

Was looking at the working breed list on AKC website and think that the Doberman and German Pinscher might also be a good fit for me. Anyone have any experience with them? Also still looking for input on the GSP,Vizsla,and Irish Setter.

• Gold Top Dog
    I haven't owned a Vizsla... but I've met a few. There was one in Luna's puppy socialization class. The whole family was attending class along with their Vizsla puppy. I felt sorry for mom... it was pretty obvious dad wanted a Vizsla so they got one... and mom had NO clue what they were getting into. After a particularly exhausting class, the mom seemed to be cheering herself up and said, "good thing he'll outgrow this... it's just the puppy stage, right?" The trainer looked at her pointedly and said, "Nope, it's the BREED. Be prepared to give him LOTS of exercise and mental stimulation.

No offense to any Vizsla people out there, but I would describe that dog as a "lab on crack."

As far as the other breeds, I've researched Irish Setters when I considered adopting one from a local shelter, and was overwhelmingly advised against it. Only a couple people actually said they would recommend a Setter for someone who didn't intend to hunt.

The issue that was pointed out to me with the hunting type dogs in sports like agility, etc. is that they generally like to "follow their nose" and anything else is secondary. I found this to be true with a Brittany I dogsat for a few months. She was so incredibly focused on smells... it was amazing! Of course, her owners didn't do much (if any) training, so I'm sure you'd be able to get better focus with training. :)

• Gold Top Dog

Rott-n-GSDs

The issue that was pointed out to me with the hunting type dogs in sports like agility, etc. is that they generally like to "follow their nose" and anything else is secondary.

If you was describing that to me I would think you were talking about a hound.

I've had 5 Irish Setters and 1 Vizsla. I own a 4 month old IS right now. I lost my 3 year old IS and 1 year old Vizsla in December to antifreeze poisoning.

Rott-n-GSDs

No offense to any Vizsla people out there, but I would describe that dog as a "lab on crack."

That does offend me. Yes they are very energetic dogs but I would never describe them as something on crack. I was warned before getting Joker(my Vizsla) that even though I had Irish Setters to expect more energy with the Vizsla. I took note of that and brought Joker home. Boy did he have energy!! I thought I made a mistake but quickly figured out unlike my Irish Setters he thrived to please me. He was easy to teach things to and would work for a "good boy" when the Setters thought I was nuts if I didnt have a treat to hand out every time.

Dont get me wrong I love the IS but I would take a houseful of Vizslas and 1 Setter than a houseful of Setters and 1 Vizsla. I've only had 1 Vizsla and unfortunately he was taken from me too soon. I had planned on getting another Vizsla but was offered my IS pup now and I was hurting badly so I took him. I love him but wish I had waited for the right time to get another Vizsla.

I have had 3 female IS and 2 males(counting my pup now) and honestly prefer the female to the male in this breed. Cant tell you about the Vizsla since I've only had the one. 

Keeper(my IS pup) will most likely be the last IS I own. After having Joker I cant imagine life without a Vizsla. It's killing me putting off getting another Vizsla until Keeper is at least a year old but I have to establish my relationship with him first before getting another pup.

Here's what I've learned with the Irish Setters that has be consistant. With the 5 I've owned anyways.

They always preferred being with my mutt Cheyanne than me even Keeper is already more interested in her than me. If we were on walks they would stay with Cheyanne and could care less where I was. If we were out in the yard they would follow Cheyanne around and I had to keep an eye on them to make sure they didnt take off down the road,across the field, in the woods. They are vocal! All mine would back talk you and Keeps just back talked me yesterday. Mine were taught "enough" and I am trying to teach Keeps that now.

Dont let people tell you their stupid. 2 of mine have learned to open doors and the kennel latch. Easy to housetrain. I dont know about others but I know none of mine care about toys. Keeper did play with toys when I got him but now he wont touch them. Mine hated water except one and his whole litter seemed to be water nuts. While they never stop running outside mine have all been very calm in the house even Keeps.

If your wanting a dog that is fine with a good run once a day,brushing every couple days, good with being with you but doesnt want to be in your face then the Setter might be for you. 

What I learned with Joker. He wanted to be with me. He would sit in my lap even at 45lbs if I would let him. If he was touching me it seemed he was happier. Easy to train. Was as happy to get a "good boy" as he was to get a treat. Loved water. Sensitive to voice tones and moods. Anything round like a ball was a great toy.

If you get a Vizsla you would want to get it use to all kinds of noise. I was told to do so but didnt make it a priority and a truck backfired one day and from then on Joker was afraid of those kind of noises. Couldnt shot a gun around him after that.

The Irish Setter was my first love. But if I was to pick my breed now it would be the Vizsla. And if you are wondering why I picked the Vizsla over the Weimaraner it's because I love red dogs! 

Any more questions just ask. Sorry for the long post.

ETA: I wanted to add that my Setters could go a couple days with no exercise except for quick potty breaks without driving you insane. But the Vizsla needs some way of letting off energy every day. There was no "sorry bud it's raining today or too cold" with Joker. I learned to put on a coat and at least throw a ball for him on those days while Lillie and Fynn(setters) were more than happy to stay in till the sun came out.

Joker even though slick coated shed more than Lillie and Fynn did. Actually the Setters only shed about once or twice a year but it was easy to clean up since it was like human hair. Joker's was short and prickly! And he shed every 3-4 months and would also shed if he was stressed. 

• Gold Top Dog
    I am sorry, Kimberly, it was meant as a joke and nothing more. It is very likely that this particular puppy was poorly bred (BYB dogs are pretty much all you see in my area) and that could've been the reason for its extreme behavior. Plus, the owners didn't appear to be the type to do a lot of training/proper exercise, which of course would've complicated the problem. All I know is that there was something "off" about this dog (again, the individual, not the breed) that not one of the other puppies in class would play with him. :-( The whole mood of the class completely changed when he was absent.
    • Gold Top Dog

sambob
     Sera-J I noticed you have 2 Weims. Can you tell me a little about their individual personalities?

There is a large disparity in temperament between Weimaraner males and females.  And it's of course not a hard rule, but it's fairly consistent, most people who are familiar with the breed would agree with me. 

Logan, is my boy. He is super into me and what I'm doing.  He's always touching me, sitting on my feet checking in with me and my other dogs when out for a walk, he will sleep in front of the bedroom door at night (even though he's allowed on the bed, and he sleep up there, too :)  He's very intense, wants to work and wants to please.  He needs a run every day, regardless of the weather (granted he's still fairly young at just under 3 yrs) today when it began pouring rain, while on our walk he seemed to enjoy the walk even more, splashing in puddles and bouncing around.  Incredibly personable, while disinterested in strangers (as they should be) his whole world is about me.  He's very goofy and loves to make you laugh, the more you laugh the more he does whatever it is you're laughing at. He grunts and groans as he gets comfortable on the sofa or on his bed, he's VERY vocal, he has long conversations with me.  His feelings are easily hurt... just a raised voice (often not at him!) will make him try to appease me. Very playful, loves other dogs and does any job I give him with his all. He's an amazing hunting, tracking, obedience, agility and conformation dog.... he's super driven to please. Too high energy to make a good therapy dog, but is great with kids, surprisingly!

Aryn the girl dog is so different, as to be shocking. I got her when she was 4 yrs old, so some of this maybe from her being raised in a different way, how much or what I'll of course never know. While still very interested in me she is also much more independent, she'll go outside and lay on the grass in the yard all by herself.  Logan would never do that, he's under my desk at my feet, I love that about her.  She's even more intense than my boy, but in a different way.  You could hit her over the head with a baseball bat and she would look at you like "why'd you do that!?" her feelings do not get hurt, making her a much harder dog, which can be more desirable for training (ie competition), depending on your training type. She is stubborn, to train a new behavior you have to approach her in a way as to make her think it was her idea. She is a bit more pushy with me and the other dogs, which can be a typical bitch behavior, though. She is a very sweet girl, loves to play and doesn't need as much exercise, she's fine being a bit more mellow, but definitely enjoys her walks.  She's an awesome hunting and tracking dog, I also think she'd make a great therapy dog, she is very intuitive and patient with people and children.  She is much more interested in strangers than Logan.  She's currently with her co-owner who is a little girl who is doing Junior Handling with her... this is definitely her idea of a good time. She LOVES working with her own, personal little girl.  They are too sweet together <3

I would disagree with some regarding a sporting dogs ability to do agility... there are 2 other Weims in my agility class, not one is a slouch.  Wonderful jumping style and incredible work ethic.  They all try very hard to please their people.  My instructor, who is a BC person (of course :) had a lovely compliment about never seeing a "bad jumper" out of all the weims she sees compete.  A good friend of mine won 2nd place in the 24" division at Eukanuba this year and WON the 24" division 2 yrs ago.  They make fantastic agility dogs!!

I agree with Kim, I'd think the desciption given about sporting dogs was more in line with a hound, as well!

Sambob, what area do you live in?? 

I hope this helps.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

sambob
    Was looking at the working breed list on AKC website and think that the Doberman and German Pinscher might also be a good fit for me. Anyone have any experience with them?

I have plenty of Dobe experience, as do several others on this board.  Much of what Sera_J tells you about Weims is similar to Dobes, except Dobes are sharper.  Meaning, more quick to assert themselves - with barking, teeth, or other forward behavior.  They are great in Obed, Agility, and Tracking.  But there are extensive health issues with Dobes.  Dilated Cardio Myopathy (aka Cardio, DCM), Cervical Vertebral Instability (aka Wobblers, CVI), hypothyroidism, VonWillebrand's disease (aka vWD, a bleeding disorder) plus a propensity toward Gastric Dilation-volvulus (aka bloat/torsion) and the unfortunate cancers that plague so many other breeds.  Clearly, finding a responsible, reputable breeder is important, especially in a breed with this many health problems and a distinct need for training, guidance, and leadership.  A badly socialized, untrained Doberman can be a dangerous menace, as opposed to "obnoxious" as some other breeds could be, if temperament isn't part of the breeding protocol.

Someone I met through Dobe rescue bought a German Pinscher prior to her Dobe, thinking it would be a mid-way point to full-fledged Dobe ownership (something her husband at the time was pushing but she was not ready for.)  She ended up falling in love with the Dobes and says the German Pinscher is sooo different from the Dobes to be nearly incomparable (and never wants another German Pinscher).  That doesn't tell you much, though.

• Gold Top Dog

Rott-n-GSDs

I am sorry, Kimberly, it was meant as a joke and nothing more.

It's ok. Im just a little sore on the subject of Vizsla's. It hasnt been too long since I lost Joker. They do have alot of energy and if I hadnt owned the Setters before getting Joker I probably would be saying they were on crack too. 

Lani it sounded like you were talking about Joker when describing Logan's personality. Might have to rethink getting a V and get a Weim instead. They are more in my size range I like dogs in anyways. Plus then it wont feel like I would be replacing Joker which is what Im afraid of if I get another V. 

• Gold Top Dog

I had a friend who bred Weims and I just LOVE them. His dogs were all very well behaved and sweet mannered. Another friend of mine has an Irish Setter and while she is simply beautiful, she was very difficult to train and she's really not the sharpest tool in the shed. It might just be this particular dog, but my friend said she'd never get another one. She also has a golden retriever and the differences in their temperaments are quite noticeable. Don't know anything about german shorthairs other than we found a stray once and she was a sweetie pie.