Beagles and Toys

• Bronze

Beagles and Toys

Do all beagles not like to play with toys at all? Is there something we are doing wrong finding a toy for our new dog?

According to the SPCA papers he liked playing tug of war and fetching balls but we cannot get him to play tug of war with a rope toy or fetch with a ball.  Does anyone have any suggestions on this for us.

My daughter would love to play with him more. We are open to any suggestions for games or toys to try with him. He is 3 and will be 4 on Christmas day.

• Gold Top Dog

how new is he to your home? Might just be an adjustment thing. Mine like toys but really more as in "MINE MINE LOOKIT ITS MINE!" Ellie will fetch but not endlessly...eventually she will tell ya to take a run and jump at yourself and lie down with her toy LOL.

My smallest likes contraband...socks, cords, that sort of thing, but she's a pup.

Being that he's a scenthound you might just need something that hold scent like a fleecy toy or scented bone/ball etc.

I'd say most hounds I have owned have preferred to sniff around, sleep, or play with another animal to playing with a toy.

• Bronze

rwbeagles
    Mine like toys but really more as in "MINE MINE LOOKIT ITS MINE!" Ellie will fetch but not endlessly...eventually she will tell ya to take a run and jump at yourself and lie down with her toy LOL.  . . .

I'd say most hounds I have owned have preferred to sniff around, sleep, or play with another animal to playing with a toy.

My current beagle, and the others I've had experience with, have been exactly the same. 

• Bronze

We have had him since June 24, 2009 so it has been almost 6 months now. It might be part of his transition period but I was wondering if there is anything we are doing wrong.

• Gold Top Dog

6 months is probably to soon. Hes most likely still adjusting. No, your doing nothing wrong, some dogs are not toy dogs. My corgi will fetch a handful of times and then shes done, she much prefers human companionship.

• Gold Top Dog

I thinking he is still adjusting.  My beagle is super into her routine.  She gets very "weirded out" when things are not the same.  I mean, she is used to going here and there on weekends, to places she recognizes, but when we moved into our new house two years ago, she was not herself at all for about six months.

Mine used to like playing toy.  Toy was her favourite game as a pup, she had all of these stuffed ones, she would cuddle them and we would play toy daily (toy=fetch).  Once we got our other dog, this changed....he ate all her toys and she plays with him now.  She has a couple toys that I keep hidden and bring out occasionally to play toy with her, but I can't leave them out or they are wrecked.  

• Bronze

My beagles LOVE their toys, but only cloth or stuffed toys. They want nothing to do with rubber. Our vet has told us because they have such sensitive noses that the rubber sometimes turns them off to the toy. they love ropes too!  their favorite thing is pulling out the stuffing and playing tug of war with the remains of the animal!

• Gold Top Dog

Jamison loves to play with toys that squeek or make noise.

Deb W.

• Gold Top Dog

2LadyBeagles
    Our vet has told us because they have such sensitive noses that the rubber sometimes turns them off to the toy.

probably more the opposite. The rubber does not HOLD scent the way an item made of cloth would. MOst hounds love scent laden items like socks or underwear for precisely that reasoning. Many other breed too, for that matter. Why play with something that ONLY smells like rubber or plastic...when you can play with something that smells a little bit like EVERYTHING that has ever come into contact with it? Wink

• Puppy

The other posters are correct when saying he may still be adjusting to his new home. My beagle, Lady has the most fun with an old sock that has a knot tied in it. She loves this toy. She also likes to play with an old water bottle in order to get the plastic to crinkle. Good luck.

• Gold Top Dog
    There is a knack for getting a new dog to play tug/fetch. Go on youtube and search for how to teach a dog to play tug or how to teach a dog to play fetch. It is possible you are doing it in a way that the dog just doesn't enjoy or that it is not kicking in that play/prey drive. If you are sticking it in the dogs face and wafing it around, that is incorrect. You need to run it along the ground, make it look like prey.