Does your pooch like the water?

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Does your pooch like the water?

The dogs I had always loved the water. I'd love to hear some of your water stories. When they first learned to swim or just play in the shallows.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Piper never did like water.  Her first experience was at a lake that Rags, my adult male ESS had claimed.  He told Piper off and Piper, being sensitive, let Rags own the lake.  She could clear an 8 ft ditch from a standing start, and not get wet.

Guenther learned to swim in puppy class.  One session in a pool with a life jacket.  He liked it.  On one run, he spotted a female goose swimming between him and her nest.  I heard a large splash and he was on his way to play with momma goose.  Fortunately, he had a good recall.  Goose looked to be about as big as him.

Sky has had the pool experience but knows better than swimming a long way to play with a goose,and seems to like the water.

• Gold Top Dog

Shadow and Rocky loved the water,  Hot Shot and Bear not so much.  

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

My Dane was funny he really wasn't sure what to make of it, my Rottie loved it so I guess he figured if he can do he'll try it. my Rottie would actually swim and really plow around in it, but Hurley would only go in so far.

• Gold Top Dog

Ruby has enjoyed one of those little blue "kiddie pools" when she's had a playmate to chase in and out of it.  She puts her whole face under water to get a toy if it lands in the pool.  But we've never taken her anywhere she could actually swim.  The one time we took her to the ocean, she was on a long line (she has poor recall and is too reactive around other dogs to let her off leash at a busy beach).  She was running straight towards the waves, and DH let her  get close enough to have the water come up over her paws, but that was it.  I think if she was off leash she would have run straight into the ocean and been carried out to sea!