City of Los Angeles to fine Dog Owners for Walking Dogs without Leashes

• Bronze

City of Los Angeles to fine Dog Owners for Walking Dogs without Leashes

Attention dog owners in the Los Angeles area, L.A. City Councilman Paul Koretz said, “The city just needs a little clout,” referring to regulating one of the most frequent complaints by the citizens of Los Angeles aside from urinating in public and garbage dumping on public places. A pilot program for the Administrative Citation Enforcement, it will give the L.A. police and the Department of Animal Services a new enforcement tool to impose fines that bypasses the nities of the court system. Currently officers can only give warnings or launch a criminal misdemeanor case for violators who commit these petty crimes. But enforcement is difficult since officers are reluctant to file a case said Councilman Koretz.

Under the program, initial violators will be fined with $100, succeeding offenses will rose to $250, $500, $1,000 and so on.  But officers have the option to issue a warning, the penalty and/or file a related case. Other offenses included in the program are: drinking alcohol in public, smoking in prohibited areas and using fireworks.  The program was said to generate around $1.59 million for the city fund once Mayor Eric Garcetti approved and signed its implementation.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I agree with leash laws, you can have the most well-behaved dog, but you never know what could happen, remember they are just dogs they don't rationalize they react. You should always have control of your dog.

• Gold Top Dog

I think all leash laws should be enforced and this gives the police and AC the ability to make people pay a fine for disregarding the law.  I just wonder how easily the enforcement officers will be to get to these calls with all the other more urgent situations they face daily.  Our local police and AC officers have their hands full with much more serious situations than off leash dogs. Too bad people can't be responsible citizens and keep their dogs leashed in public.  

• Bronze

@JackieG

I think all leash laws should be enforced and this gives the police and AC the ability to make people pay a fine for disregarding the law. I just wonder how easily the enforcement officers will be to get to these calls with all the other more urgent situations they face daily. Our local police and AC officers have their hands full with much more serious situations than off leash dogs. Too bad people can't be responsible citizens and keep their dogs leashed in public.

Juast as Councilor Koretz have pointed out, the ordinance has no clout nor teeth if  improperly administered. The fine is just to save the troublesome nitie of the court procedure. The fines plus the law should still be served and the big oart of it is: WILL POWER on all parties concerned. :D

• Bronze

@Snowflakes

@JackieG

I think all leash laws should be enforced and this gives the police and AC the ability to make people pay a fine for disregarding the law. I just wonder how easily the enforcement officers will be to get to these calls with all the other more urgent situations they face daily. Our local police and AC officers have their hands full with much more serious situations than off leash dogs. Too bad people can't be responsible citizens and keep their dogs leashed in public.

Juast as Councilor Koretz have pointed out, the ordinance has no clout nor teeth if improperly administered. The fine is just to save the troublesome nitie of the court procedure. The fines plus the law should still be served and the big part of it is: WILL POWER on all parties concerned. :D