Quick Post

Teaching a dog to respect personal space when playing

Teaching a dog to respect personal space when playing
  • Royce is a real sweet pup, no doubt, but Royce is a TANK. When he plays with T-Bone he has no qualms about smacking into me or running through me to get to T-Bone faster. Just now I'm laying here with my feet over the side of the bed and he barrels by forcing my ankle back. What should I do to teach him plowing into me isn't okay? When he is so hyped up that he runs into me he doesnt care if I go OUCH! which is how I taught him not to mouth me. Should I take him for a time out as soon as he does it?

Thanks guys.

• Mine do this as well.  Honestly I just use management in the form of baby gates so they can't come in the den while roughhousing, or are gated in the basement or turned out in the yard to play.  The basement and yard are "dog zones", so if I don't want to get body slammed, *I* am obligated to move.  The den, kitchen, etc are "my" zones.  They get so into it there's no way they are going to be able to stop and think about where they are in relation to me.  If I stop to correct them, it interrupts the play and I don't want them thinking that roughhousing is bad because really I don't care as long as they aren't knocking my stuff over.

•  I know Lemon's not a dog, but when he and Peaches play its REALLY rough. Just last night Peaches ended up with a cut above her eye. Anyways I separate them until Lemon cools off. Sometimes when he gets going, he can cause serious destruction and hurt someone (me or Peach).

• Tiffy, heehee, bad Lemon! Circus is gettin' real bad too (you know I am saying it in an endearing way- I don't really think they're bad!) She's at the age where taking a flying leap to wrap onto my arms and legs and lay ears back in stealth mode while biting, clawing, and kicking is fun. She is absolutely fine with water so a spray does no good (She seems to rather enjoy her baths even Huh?) Luckily Royce is usually the recipient of her sneak attacks, and he just mouths her head and thinks it is a grand time.

Lies, that is what I worry about too, I want them to know playing how they want to is fine. I just wish they didn't do it on ME, lol.

• I do things similar to Lies, except I don't use gates. I know I only have small dogs, but four small dogs getting into it (schnauzers are not gentle players!) and getting the zoomies can still result in some mishaps!  I don't mind roughhousing in the house in general, but the general rule for here is no roughhousing on the bed or on couches, and no roughhousing in the kitchen if it's in use (only because there's an island so it's not a wide-open floor space) .  They quickly learned the "rules of the game", so to speak, but with Kash who is still learning I'll just tell a gentle "off" or "out" and lead the players to the appropriate area. It doesn't seem to affect their play too much.  If I find them particularly playful in the house, I'll often just open the door and let them finish up outside and leave the door open for them to come and go as they wish.  

• LOL I can just picture that!  My main reason for gates is b/c the tails of my dogs.  They are long a powerful and perfect height for knocking your glass over, swiping dog hair across your plate, or flipping your laptop off its stand.  No dogs near me while I'm eating or trying to work. I also have a lot of special antiques and curios from other countries that I tend to keep in one area of the house out of danger from the dogs' tails.  Nikon's breeder's blog is called Long Dangerous Tails!

• Thirded - no playing on beds or couches, and NO PLAYING IN THE KITCHEN. Other than that we stay out of the way :P
  • These make me laugh, apparently Royce isn't all that disrespectful, he's a normal pup! I have a no playing in the kitchen rule too, and an OUT will make both dogs leave. Circus on the other hand...

• Apparently my guys are the odd ones out.. LOL. They don't play in the house. All rough housing happens out side. They have minor controlled games of tug but other then that, nope..
  • Liesje

LOL I can just picture that!  My main reason for gates is b/c the tails of my dogs.  They are long a powerful and perfect height for knocking your glass over, swiping dog hair across your plate, or flipping your laptop off its stand.  No dogs near me while I'm eating or trying to work. I also have a lot of special antiques and curios from other countries that I tend to keep in one area of the house out of danger from the dogs' tails.  Nikon's breeder's blog is called Long Dangerous Tails!

Yep! I don't have that problem, that's for sure! Even with my two with tails, they still don't do any real sort of damage to anything, as they aren't tall enough to reach the tables. If anything Shimmer might knock something when she walks underneath the table to scratch her back/bum as she does daily. She loves giving her own backscratches with the table (or just about anything that works!).