Quick Post

HELP... MY DOG BARKS AT EVERYONE

HELP... MY DOG BARKS AT EVERYONE
  • I've had my dog for almost 4 years now. Everytime I take him outside for a walk and he sees a person or another dog, he would start barking at them and pull towards them. I usually have to pick him up because if a dog gets too close to him, he will attack them.

I don't know what to do. I usually go behind bushes so my dog won't see anyone coming toward us. Please help!

By the way, he's a mix Yorkie & Bichon
  • ORIGINAL: LBerto

I've had my dog for almost 4 years now. Everytime I take him outside for a walk and he sees a person or another dog, he would start barking at them and pull towards them. I usually have to pick him up because if a dog gets too close to him, he will attack them.

I don't know what to do. I usually go behind bushes so my dog won't see anyone coming toward us. Please help!

Great question, my Charlie (Jack/Chi) does the same thing. He wont attack but he lunges and growls and barks...at people mostly, not dogs. Its soooo embarassing!
  • ORIGINAL: butterfly7311

ORIGINAL: LBerto

I've had my dog for almost 4 years now. Everytime I take him outside for a walk and he sees a person or another dog, he would start barking at them and pull towards them. I usually have to pick him up because if a dog gets too close to him, he will attack them.

Great question, my Charlie (Jack/Chi) does the same thing. He wont attack but he lunges and growls and barks...at people mostly, not dogs. Its soooo embarassing!

It is pretty embarassing because a lot of people want to get close and my dog, but my dog just barks at them.
  • Well there are a lot of things you can do to desensitize your dog towards strangers.

If you have friends you can trust here's one of the training procedures.  Have two or three of your friends in strategic places near where you walk.  Load your friends up with high value treats (smelly liver treats, or small pieces of roast beef)  as you walk up towards your friend and your dog is going crazy, your friend walks by, ignoring the dog and you...and dropping high value treats. 

Same thing with the next friend.  And if you've got a 3rd friend to help out even better.

Ignoring the dog is key.

After doing this for a few walks-maybe for a week, you should notice a change in your dog.  Perhaps he's not barking as much or as violently at the strangers, after all they do produce high value treats.  So they must be somewhat good.  If the behavior hasn't changed stick with step one above.

Next step.  The "stranger" interacts with you, again ignoring the dog.  Maybe a hello or a handshake.  All the while dropping treats.  Mmmm.  Since mom/dad is talking to them and treats are coming from the sky maybe this person is ok.  Then the friend moves on after a very short "Hi how are you? I'm fine and you" interaction.  Do this for a few weeks until the reactivity with people is diminished or even gone.

This can work as long as you do it and follow the steps.
  • It sounds as though your dog was not well socialized to all kinds of people and dogs as a young pup.  Or, he could simply be a generally fearful type dog.  You can desensitize him gradually - it takes a lot of work.  But, my advice, if you want to do it, is to get Ali Brown's book, "Scaredy Dog" and follow the steps she outlines.
  • Start carrying treats with you and give them to him when he starts up.  Make him stop, look at you, (sit if possible) then treat treat treat until the bad thing is gone.

He will then learn that scary people (to him) means good things to eat.

Read this...the same could apply when leash aggressive with people I would think.
    http://dogcentral.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1227100
  • I have the same problem.  I have a Norfolk (or cairn ... we never met the mother)Terrier/Cocker mix, and she's barely 20 lbs, so people always want to come close and pet her, but she starts barking and growling.  She won't actually try to bite (except she did one time a friend literally jumped on her to catch her ... which was stupid anyway, and he got an earful), but of course, to people who do not know her, they don't know this. 

Once, we ran into an elderly woman who completely ignored Dweezil, and Dweezil barked for maybe 10 seconds and then went to lie down at the woman's feet while she spoke to me, not even looking down at Dweezil.  It was AMAZING.  now of course.  There aren't many people that understand dogs like this or have the patience, or trust that Dweezil won't bite, so it's been a long process.

I've had her for about 10 months now, and she's gotten a little bit better, because she gets nice long daily walks.  She doesn't bark when we walk in front of driveways where people are close to their houses, basically, she doesn't bark at people who don't seem intimidating at all (she used to bark at EVERYONE).  She still barks at people who are RUNNING in the distance, and people who walk right next to us.  occasionally, she will walk right by people.  When she does bark, it's ridiculously embarassing.  Usually, I will move to the other side of the street, or walk midday when nobody is out.  I know she should get used to it, but it's pretty hard to get past the fact that it scares/annoys the people that she needs to walk by to learn.