Quick Post

peeing on himself after neutering

peeing on himself after neutering
  • my toy poodle puppy was neutered last week, and since then he started peeing on his front paws. before he was neutered, he never did that. but now it seems like he doesn't squat as much as he used to (he hasn't started lifting his leg yet), and he doesn't stretch his front paws out far enough. the stream will either hit the front paws, or the pool of pee on the ground will spread to his paws.

i've been wiping and rinsing his paws afterward, but i'm worried that doing this a few times a day will dry out in the harsh winter weather.

did this happen to anyone else? is it common for dogs after neutering to go through this? is it just a phase?

thanks!

• My Beaux was neutered last week too; the only time he has peed on his front legs is when his undercarriage is trimmed too short. Fortunately they didn't shave him that far forward. One groomer did a ‘sani-cut’ and he hit his front legs for weeks after.

LC

• My Chihuahua pees on his front legs.  I think it is sometimes a problem for toy breeds.  There just isn't enough room down there!  My Chi has very short (almost nonexistent) fur so it hasn't been a big problem.  He also is very cat-like about grooming himself and always cleans his legs after coming inside.  I don't know how the poodle will do though.  Hopefully he will get back to normal soon.  If anyone has a solution, I'd like to hear it too!

• noodle
    did this happen to anyone else? is it common for dogs after neutering to go through this? is it just a phase?

Some dogs just keep on peeing on their legs/paws forever.  It's all about the quest to pee higher and last longer than the scent they're trying to cover.

As yours isn't a "hiker" at this point, it's probably just a memory of some discomfort during the recovery from the surgery.  Most likely it will go away. 

• Could there be a little swelling down that that is changing the angle of the dangle.  When Timmy was neutered he was getting his belly for a few days as there was some swelling.

• My family's Westie repeatedly pees on his front legs.  He doesn't seem to care and there doesn't seem to be much we can do to stop it, considering he's 13 years old.