Quick Post

How much do you feed your dog?

How much do you feed your dog?
  • Just wondering if I should lower Cadie's food intake and would like some comparison, plus I'm simply intererested to know...

so, please share how much (1 c, 2 c etc.) dog food you feed per day per dog. And please include your dog's age, breed (if known), and weight. Plus any other info you think accounts for why you feed the amount you do. Thanks!

• Jewel is a 10 year old LabX.She is spayed which I do believe means she should have fewer calories than an intact dog.She now weighs 80 lbs. and we are working to lower that five or six pounds to make her more comfortable.She is getting two cups [divided into two feedings] of Evo low fat kibble and four raw veggie snacks per day.

My son's female aussie puppy is seven months old and still intact.She weighs 29 lbs. and recieves two cups[divided into two feedings] of American Natural Premium kibble and probably 1/4 cup of assorted Zukes and Bil-Jack soft treats for training.

Do you think Cadie is over weight? Is this why you are considering the food reduction? Just curious.

Tena

•  I honestly couldn't tell you how much I feed my dogs in cups.  Crusher gets about 2.5 percent of his body weight a day and Onyx is closer to 3 percent, but it varies from week to week depending on how hot it is, how active we are, if they look thin or porky, what kind of meat they are getting, whats available at the store...I could go on and on, there are so many factors.

•  Same as Candace. Emma is a 4 1/2 yr old, spayed, very active, 20 lb PRT. She gets 4-6 oz, twice a day, plus treats. Ena is a 5 month old, intact, very active, 7 lb Chinese Crested. She gets 3-4 oz, twice a day, plus treats....

That means Emma is getting 2.5-3%  (OMG SHE IS NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) of her weight, daily, and Ena gets  5-7%. They're both quite lean, and healthy.

• Willow gets 1 cup kibble with 1/4 canned with homecooked turkey added in--2x's per day.  She's between 7-10, spayed, chow. She weighs 46 lbs.

• Kenya, spayed female, purebred German Shepherd, 4 years old, ~60lbs, 2.5 cups kibble per day

Coke, neutered male, mutt (Chow/retriever/shepherd??), 2 years old,  ~65lbs, 2.5 cups kibble per day

Right now they are on 2/3 Canidae Lamb and Rice and 1/3 Natural Balance Lamb and Rice.  I am in the process of switching over to Natural Balance and may have to feed slightly more.  Kenya could stand to gain a pound or two. 

•  My dogs are on homecooked with additional supplements to balance things out.

Woobie - 38 lb. BC/Shepherd/Huskie/??? Mix, 24" tall, walks 3 miles daily, runs 3 miles w/my daughter 3x week, nervous, fearful dog.  He gets 2 cups of instant oatmeal, 2 cups of pureed vegetables, 14 ozs. canned salmon, 1/4 cup Fiber One cereal per day, split into 2 meals.

Indie - 60 lb. BC  26" tall, laid back, walks 3 miles daily, plays around back yard w/Woobie.  He gets 1 3/4 cups of instant oatmeal, 2 cups of pureed vegetables, 12 ozs. canned salmon, 1/4 cup Fiber One cereal per day, split into 2 meals.

Both get frozen tripe and beef rib bones for chewing treats about once a week. 

•  I do kcals

Bugsy a few months shy of three, big ol' mutt, @ 105lbs (haven't weighed him in ages) less active these days due to the heat but still relatively active for a 'pet'

He gets @2500 kcals a day - some days more some less.  It is lower in severe heat spells as he is more limited in activity and higher in the mild NC winter when he is hyper dog

• Legend is a 12 1/2 yr old neutered male Chow, he eats about 2.5  cups each day of Natural Balance Ultra Premium. More if he seems hungry (pretty much never happens) as he dislikes eating, no matter what food I put him on. And now that he's having some cognitive issues, he often wanders off and doesn't eat all of his meals, so he's on the thin side.

Julian: nearly 7 year old neutered male yorkie. He eats 1/2- 3/4 cup per day of Natural Balance.

Ginger: 11 yr old spayed Poodle/Chihuahua mix. She eats 1/2 can per day of Natural Balance Venison and Potato.

Aesop: 18 week old Chow pup, not yet neutered. He eats 1 cup NB Ultra Premium mixed with 1 cup Solid Gold Wolf cub, twice a day. Seems like a lot of food, but he's not overweight, so I'm just monitoring his body weight regularly to tell me when to cut back.

• Ben: 12 1/2 year old neutered male BC, active.  1100 kcals/day - Ben's on modified prey model (raw plus supps)
    • Maggie: 14 1/2 year old 35 pound spayed mix, moderately active, 850 (raw plus supps)
    • Gus: 7 year old 45 pound neutered working BC, 1500 kcal/day (TOTW kibble, topper, plus raw meaty bones)
    • Cord: 8 year old 47 pound neutered BC, active 1050 kcal/day (TOTW kibble. topper, plus raw meaty bones)
    • Zhi: 3 year old spayed 8 pound Crested, active 350 kcal/day (raw plus supps)
    • Ted: 2 year old intact male BC, working, 1400 kcal/day (TOTW kibble, topper, plus raw meaty bones)
    • Lynn:  9 mo old spayed female mix, active, 1500 kcal/day (customized homemade combination diet)
    • Min: 6 year old female Maremma, working, 2600 kcal/day (Diamond Naturals EA kibble, topper, plus RMBs)
    • Lu: 10 year old 95 pound female Maremma, working, 3100 kcal/day (Diamond Naturals EA kibble, topper, plus RMBs)
    • Tully:  4 year old intact male Maremma, working, 4100 kcal/day (Diamond Naturals EA kibble, topper, plus RMBs)

• Dublin is 60 lbs.  He is 16 months old.  He gets three meals a day still since he is so active and so thin.  He gets 4 /12 to 5 cups a day!  I am thinking after reading this perhaps it is too much.  But geez he is skinny boy and hikes two miles a day with off leach running and frisbee play for a couple hours.  Until I see his weight start to change I won't reduce his intake.  He has stayed 58 to 60 lbs for 6 months now.  So I figured it was what he needs.  Am I wrong on that?  I could cut back to 1 1/2 cups per feeding rather that closer to 2 cups but don't want him to lose weight.  Everyone thinks he looks like he is starved to death. 

• Ginny is a freak of nature.

She's 35 lbs, 5 years old, and pretty active (4-5 miles a day, 6+ on weekends, plus inside activities) for a non-working dog.

She has never eaten more than ~450 (maybe 500 or so if I add canned) calories a day. But her weight never changes. Her health is perfect. Technically she should be getting almost double that! Just goes to show that every dog is different.

• whtsthfrequency

Ginny is a freak of nature.

She's 35 lbs, 5 years old, and pretty active (4-5 miles a day, 6+ on weekends, plus inside activities) for a non-working dog.

She has never eaten more than ~450 (maybe 500 or so if I add canned) calories a day. But her weight never changes. Her health is perfect. Technically she should be getting almost double that! Just goes to show that every dog is different.

Holy cow that is freaky!  Iveta should study her!  Wink 

•  

losinsusan
    couple hours.  Until I see his weight start to change I won't reduce his intake.  He has stayed 58 to 60 lbs for 6 months now.  So I figured it was what he needs.  Am I wrong on that?  I could cut back to 1 1/2 cups per feeding rather that closer to 2 cups but don't want him to lose weight.  Everyone thinks he looks like he is starved to death. 

YOu can't go by what you see here.  Every food provides different concentrations of energy per "Cup", every dog is different, and even measuring cups are different.

Weigh your food.  Weigh out what he eats in a day and figure up his kcals for the day.  I'm just guessing, but I suspect 5 cups is going to be really close to one kg of Purina PPS.  That's only 1700 kcals.  A healty, active 60 pound dog should be taking in from 1550 to 1600 kcals per day.  For weight gain, inefficient food usage (as often occurs with dogs with sensitive GIs), young dogs, and very active dogs, that can go up and up.  My Ben only weighed 47 pounds and at the height of his working career, he required almost 2000 kcals to stay fit. 

But the only way is to weigh the food yourself (don't forget to convert to kg), since I don't have it in front of me to do that.

Anytime I change food, I weigh it first, then scoop it in my measurer (an old jack mack can - it's got lines).  The weight tells me how many kcals I'm feeding exactly, then after that I don't have to weigh it each time.  That way, if the kcal per kg listed is accurate, I don't have to guess how much food to give.  If there are problems, I don't have to wonder whether overfeeding  or underfeeding is a factor.

Of course, for my raw fed dogs I have to go by nutrition data for whatever I'm feeding.  But that's a different topic. 

• whtsthfrequency
    She's 35 lbs, 5 years old, and pretty active (4-5 miles a day, 6+ on weekends, plus inside activities) for a non-working dog.  She has never eaten more than ~450 (maybe 500 or so if I add canned) calories a day. But her weight never changes. Her health is perfect. Technically she should be getting almost double that! Just goes to show that every dog is different.

I had a 32 pound Border Collie female that was like that.  It's very common in the breed to be either wildly inefficient at energy usage, or extremely efficient - hard keeper and easy keepers and not much between. 

I was talking to a vet once who is also a breeder and top level trainer of BCs, and she guesses that it has to do with, first, the origin of the line - the old shepherd's dogs on the hills tended to have hard knock lives and subsisted on very little.  Farm dogs, on the other hand, lived off the fat of the land - literally in some ways. 

Second, the hard keepers also seem to be "hot" dogs - dogs that expend a lot of energy just sitting, spinning their wheels mentally.  These tend to be lines that were strongly bred for competitions, but not necessarily farm work, where being cool is just as important as being quick and mentally agile.

Anyway, Ann came from one of the hard knock, hill lines - she was pretty laid back in the house, though her failing as a sheepdog was that she wanted to play too hard.  Even training every day and going for long walks and swims, she burned no more than 550 kcals a day once she matured.  It was truly weird to feed her just a smidge more than my 8 pound Chinese Crested dog.

My old Trim dog (BC) was very similar.  She was a very very hard worker, but she eats like a bird.  She weighed 49 pounds and would get fat, seriously fat, if she got more than 700 kcals a day.  Her current handler blesses me every day for giving Trim to her (well, she says she does) and that's one of the reasons.  Now she's older, she eats even less!  And she's 11 and a 1/2 and still runs about 8 miles a day total full out, clearing runways of migratory birds.  She's healthy, 100% free of arthritis, and still plays frisbee until her handler is exhausted, at the end of the day.